This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Butter in the Coffee - how much?

Started by Florian Gattung, September 27, 2016 · 5 Replies · 153 Views

Florian Gattung

So I was wondering, as a non-breakfast guy at the moment (I saw some posts were this has been discussed in the past), I just would like to emphasize on how much I should then eat for breakfast.

I am a big eater (something that I would desire to change during the course) so I should probably not eat 5 avocados for breakfast, not 5 eggs, or 200g of butter in a litre of coffee, or 200g of walnuts.

How much is a handful of nuts? How much is "some butter" in the coffee? Let me know if I am overthinking this, but my experience with other diets in the past shows me that when I was told to have "a handful of nuts", my hands suddenly became gigantic excavation buckets... ;-)

Chris Garay

Hi @Florian Gattung, I'll ultimately defer to @Jeff Serven on this, but in general I would recommend not over-doing it with the butter in your coffee. The most fat I ever add to coffee is on mornings when I am not eating, and I'll do 1 tbsp each of butter and coconut oil. Even this adds quite a bit of calories to your cup, so this is probably better used every so often rather than everyday.

This would be the equivalent of 1/4 - 1/2 cup of nuts, depending on the type. One problem with nuts (and other fatty foods in general) is that they tend to be hyper-palatable, meaning that it is way too easy to eat way too much of them (especially if the nuts are roasted or salted). Before you know it, a "handful" of nuts can easily become 500+ calories.

Best, Chris

Jeff Serven

I agree with Chris. People can and often do drink a substantial amount of calories with BPC. 

On a side note I would use it as a last choice. You are already topping out the CLA benefits of butter and the MCT benefits of coconut oil by cooking your food in them. Drink your coffee with heavy cream(a lot the same in terms of CLA) or something else. But, if its all you got then go for it. Better than nothing. 

Florian Gattung

Thanks,  but Sorry what? 

I know BBC and CNN, but not BPT, CLA and MCT. :unsure:

Let me try asking more specifically -  if my breakfast is currently:

- a glass of athletic greens (1 serving) 

- 2 omega 3 pills (totalling 1300mg of omega 3s, thereof more than 1100mg EPA/DHA)

- Coffee with skimmed milk

 

Is that already enough? Would it be if I substituted the skimmed milk in the coffee with cream? Or do I need to add something substantial to make it count as 'breakfast'? 

Jeff Serven

Switch it up to whole milk and you will be there. 

CLA and MCT are beneficial forms of fat that are often cited for the reason to eat those to items but there is a rate limiter for lack of a better term, more is not always better

Florian Gattung

Thank you Jeff for the clarification! :)