@Jeff Serven What is your recommendation? I am also curious.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Timing of meals and training
Started by Alex Simring, September 26, 2016 · 5 Replies · 215 Views
I train early, 5am twice a week and 6am 3 times a week followed by a bike ride straight after. I follow Thrive as is with no adjustment, so first carbs are at Lunch. But only you can know if you need carbs following the workout. I know I am need of them by lunch time and definitely benefit from a careful choice of the evening starch type or volume - I need twice as much potato as I do rice to make it work. rice is definitely a winner.
The question has been raised a couple of times previously and my recollection is the answer was 'what do you feel?'
I don't have the time to find the post now, but Jeff has said he is never a fan of carbs before lunch, even for morning training.
He also says to follow his program to a T before making any adjustments, so wait until lunch for carbs for the duration of the program and then, as Jared says, see how you feel.
FWIW, I also train in the morning and follow Thrive as prescribed. All's good here!
It really depends on what you want and what you believe. Lots of folks out there are sold on this idea if you don't down a 2 liter of cola worth of carbs you won't make progress.
AM PWO Carbs; Julia is right I don't like them. [remember I am a performance guy]. Heres the deal - you will kick your dietary fat and body tissue(body fat) metabolism in hyper drive if you train with no carbs in the AM. Performance will be down due to the 5;30am workout - your CNS is barely on, not because of the lack of carbs.
It does take time to to get use to but so does a 500# back squat. doesn't mean its useless.
The moment you ingest carbs is the same moment in time you significantly reduce fat for fuel.
@Alex Simring the only consistent reliable part of my day that I can control is in the morning. So I wake up early before work and do my foundation training around 5am. I have a good Thrive breakfast post workout around 6-6:30. At first, I felt like I needed a snack before lunch. So beef jerky & macadamia nuts would help hold me over. Now my body seems to have become better accustom to burning fat as I'm not hungry until about 11am-Noon.
While I'd like to take advantage of the optimal training window, it just isn't realistic. My day is to hectic to be able to have any consistent training then, so for me it is all about getting the work in daily at 5am.
William has it figured out. Give his routine a try.