This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Injured - Thrive portion size

Started by Kelby O'Shea, September 25, 2016 · 6 Replies · 172 Views

Kelby O'Shea

Hi Jeff,

I'm nursing a minor injury of my meniscus from getting a little carried away with my ROM doing skiers in a warm up and then rolling BJJ for 3 hours (ironic I know). My question is this: should I change anything about my Thrive programming to match decreased energy requirements such as pulling back on the starches a bit etc?

I've been making consistent progress on my belly fat since beginning Thrive and I don't want to go backwards. I'm on step 10 at the moment.

Everett Carroll

Hi Kelby,

In general, when your less active eating less is a good idea. Still eat the same foods, just less.

Jeff Serven

Does your meniscus effect your upper body work? 

Kelby O'Shea

@Jeff Serven Luckily it hasn't affected upper body work much. As far as GST goes using the new programming on F1 I can complete the core exercises and upper body exercises minus the swivel hips mobility element. Only issue is that I'm still only just moving past PE1 Step 1 on all elements. The intensity is pretty low for me as i build up the appropriate mobility to do the strength elements correctly, especially when compared to my usual 3-4 BJJ sessions per week.

I did throw in some pushups, kettle bell rows and calf raises in last week and i'm going to keep doing what I can until I get the all clear from my physiotherapist.

Stuart McFarlane

@Kelby O'Shea firstly I feel for you - its so frustrating to get injured.  I signed up to Thrive because I was injured and wanted to still be learning/progressing on something and also because eating well will stave off getting fat while not having the training stimulus.

I've actually maintained/lost a little of my weight (a terrible measure of body composition and performance) due to Thrive while eating the full thrive recommended portions because by eating the full portions of starch, fat and protein I was satisfied to the point I didn't need to eat the small calorie dense "treats" we invisibly slip into our diet, e.g. sweets/cakes in an office environment.   So by eating full Thrive I probably actually slightly lowered my calorific intake and massively improved the quality of that intake.

Had I lowered the thrive portions to compensate for my injury/inactivity I know my will would have been tested and I would have reached for calorie dense snacks with no nutritional value.  I find that things are either double good or double bad, i.e. you eat well and train hard or if you get injured you get frustrated by not training and then compensate by eating badly as well.

Jeff Serven

Don't reduce workload, just work around.

Kelby O'Shea

Don't be lazy. Roger that.