This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE9 using rings, acceptable?

Started by Jin Liu, September 25, 2016 · 7 Replies · 191 Views

Jin Liu

Apologize if this was already posted before. Since I don't have access to stall bars, I used the rings and my husband's help to do the reverse leg lift. Is this an acceptable substitute for stall bars for this exercise? I know the grip is different, the position of the hands relative to the body is also very different. But I hope it won't be a deal breaker for the purpose of this exercise (my form ok otherwise)?  

Thanks for checking! =]

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Jin,

Do these in a headstand with your back to a wall may be a better variation, especially if your husband is not available for the spot. I find it harder as well. 

Alessandro Mainente

I'm with Everett, the only variation allowed  it is from headstand position.

Jin Liu

From a headstand position would make more sense for me at this stage. When i first tried this on the rings without my husband's spot, it was really hard. Trying to minimize the swing (while the legs moving up and down) alone took a lot of strength & focus. I did 5 in that set and was exhausted. Putting a bar behind the back made it easier. But I'll stick to the suggested headstand position now. Thank you both! :)

Nicholas Murray

Please be careful using a pullup bar that fixes to a door frame, especially if you are upside down. The transition from pike to straight body is where the support is most loaded.

Jin Liu

Today i had the chance to do this on some stall bars in a local park. It feels so different from doing it on the rings or from a headstand. I feel my head was going to explode at the end of 5-6 reps. Am i doing it correctly? 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Jin,

Work to not allow your lower back and torso to not move away from the rungs. Reversing your grip may help with that. Otherwise, it looks like you are keeping locked legs and have good control.

Alessandro Mainente

For a matter of joint problem prevention, use the pronated grip on the bar.we want to avoid for now unnecessary elbow tendon tension.