This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Prone band pulls: height of band on stall bars

Started by Craig Copeland, September 25, 2016 · 5 Replies · 103 Views

Craig Copeland

I cannot bend my back very far (I have made only a modest dent in my concrete-ness after a year with all 3 stretch series).  In the follow-along video, the athletes have the bungee attached near their feet.  When I lie prone on the floor to do band pulls -- even with the thickest, most resistant band I have -- because of poor back flexibility (and poor shoulder/thoracic flexibility), I cannot raise my arms up very high because of poor back, shoulder, and thoracic flexibility.

Is it acceptable to attach the bungee higher up the stall bars so I get more "pull" through my shoulders?  I tried the stretch this morning after doing TB series with the bungee at the 4th bar and I got significantly more stretch through my shoulders.  However, I don't want to risk injury if this kind of scaling will lead to problems.

Suzanna McGee

Craig, I think it is one of the "scaling down" options of this exercise—to attach the band higher up… I feel like you, my back does not want to bend backwards. Never did. At least for the last 40 years that I remember. Maybe it did as a kid, but I don't remember that :) I am on my seventh TB session and I must say that is slowly getting better, each time. But nothing spectacular, yet. I do attach the band higher up. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Craig,you can evaluate to use a higher pole if necessary and try to reach the bend showed in the video course, then move down to the lower pole.

Mats Trane
1 hour ago, Craig Copeland said:

 

Is it acceptable to attach the bungee higher up the stall bars so I get more "pull" through my shoulders?  I tried the stretch this morning after doing TB series with the bungee at the 4th bar and I got significantly more stretch through my shoulders.  However, I don't want to risk injury if this kind of scaling will lead to problems.

Have a look at the technical video. There the band as high up. So yes put it up so you feel a nice stretch in your uppger back. Keep you glutes tight. This helps protecting your lower spine.

Craig Copeland

Thanks for guidance, everyone.