This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hoping GST will help me jog again

Started by John Hersperger, September 23, 2016 · 1 Replies · 51 Views

John Hersperger
I'm halfway through the Fundamentals course and am loving it.
In addition to gaining overall mobility and strength, I do have a specific long term goal; I'd like to be able to jog again. 
I'm 52, and about 10 years ago I herniated L-5. It was considered mild, and though I don't feel the L-5 bothering me, I question if that injury made me be less flexible. A couple years later, I herniated L-1. Both injuries happened simply while sitting. Like the L-5, the L-1 was deemed relatively mild and I'm NOT a candidate for surgery and I've NOT experienced nerve issues like other people.  Nevertheless, that L-1 issue prevents me from jogging. In just a few hundred paces, I sense the repetitive foot strike putting my lower left side L-1 into spasm. Over the years I've tried all kinds of compensations, including highly cushioned shoes and barefoot running (which helped the back, but killed the feet).  I did CrossFit for about nine months with a smart trainer who was careful and gave me alternative exercises for burpees, jumping jacks, jogging and rope jumping.  Interestingly, I can endure a weekly basketball game by running and jumping cautiously, but when I do land poorly, my whole spine feels like a rigid pole.  Both hoops and CrossFit also exposed how tight and painful my left leg groin/psoas tight and painful have become. 
 
It's possible that my L-1, though not crippling, is deteriorated enough that I'll not run again.  But it seems most people can return to running after herniations, so I hold out hope that over time improved mobility will allow me to run too.
 
To that end, I'm open to advice on which courses or exercises I might focus on.  I plan on doing Foundations next. Should I do Foundations and Stretch simultaneously?   If so, is there a certain Stretch component I should focus on? Should I do the Stretch series  components in any certain order? 
 
I do have this vision that if I can ever build up the strength and mobility to do a left-side single leg squat, then maybe I'll be good enough to run.  That seems like years away right now. But I've always been a technician when it comes to athletics, and I'll be patient with this.  Thanks. 
 
Everett Carroll

Hi John,

Certainly talk to a physio or other medical professional about specific limitations of your back. Foundation One and the stretch courses are definitly the appropriate next step after Fundamentals is complete. Strength and mobility is the focus of these courses. The specific programming is provided in those courses and will be a great guide for you. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know.