Oval vs circular rungs/dowels on stall bars

Started by Sal Cobian, September 23, 2016 · 5 Replies · 4,130 Views

Alessandro Mainente

On the grip I prefer oval one.

Sal Cobian

Thanks for the feedback Alessandro. I wonder what the impact of wood vs metal would be on the ability to get more work done.

I am 6'1" and 190lbs. I get sense that I could do more hanging leg lifts with wood that I would with metal stall bars. My only experience is with a metal pull up bar and FIG wood rings.

Could this be true? or be true initially but my hands would adapt later?

or is this softer grip mental only?

 

At this point, I am between the Rogue Wood vs Rogue metal stall bars.  I read Coach Sommer prefers the Rogue metal stall bars but I am not sure about the thinking/rationale behind that preference.

Coach Sommer (or anyone else)  would you care  to elaborate a little bit on your preference for the Rogue metal stall bars?

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Sal,

Your grip will adapt to either. I have used both wood and metal rungs for a long time and, eventually, it doesn't make much of a difference. I do own a set of rogue metal stahl bars and I like them for their durability and quality. The grip is also not too slick. 

Cole Dano

The main advantage of metal is it won't break, wood can break, especially if you're a big guy.

IMO wood is more comfortable, and oval the most comfortable for doing things like hanging leg lifts, since it gives your back a flat surface to rest on. But for some of the mobility found in the foundation course, the wood is going to be stressed and flex, which can be a bit un-nerving. Worse of course if the wood is too stiff and just breaks all in one go.

The discomfort of metal can be mitigated by putting a mat over the bars. The actual grip isn't that different from wood to metal, but the shape is a factor.

So it really a matter of pick your side of the comfort - strength equation.

Sal Cobian

Thanks fellas for you elaborations. They are very useful and very much appreciated.  I think the Rogue metal stall bars are the way to go.