This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2 Form Check

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, September 22, 2016 · 5 Replies · 109 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, I feel quite comfortable on the PE. A bit of just shaking and steadiness. This video is from my second week at 5x60" and this video is my fifth set. Clearly, I can still refine the pose, but as per meeting mastery, I feel like it's there. The iM, however, is not. I'm currently using fractional plates (because I see no other way of ever possibly conquering shoulder extension). In this form check, I believe I'm using about 1.25 lbs. My question is that my shoulders/arms in one case don't seem high enough, the other is that I want to roll my shoulders back, but they don't seem willing/able to do that. When I bring my arms up to the iM position -- 90 degrees -- my shoulders just naturally want to elevate a little bit, and my head wants to protrude forward. I know to externally rotate my arms, to keep them shoulder width apart, and to keep them at shoulder height, and the blades retracted (which I am actively doing in every instance). But I'm not sure how else to remedy this. I warm up with table rocks. I'm currently on FL/PE2, so I do tables for a few sets on other workout days a few times per week. I've read @Alessandro Mainente mentions that the arms HAVE to be shoulder width distance. Of course, I could be splitting hairs and my arms are high enough, and my form is good enough, and it's just that the weight isn't there, but something tells me that isn't it. Here are the vids:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Daniel, nice effort. my suggestion is increase  a bit the grip and try to perform the movement symmetrically as much as possible. some more degree are necessary for the goal and the head tilted forward it is a sign of lack of range of motion. btw you will notice that holding the head in place will be possible at 90° when you can lift up to more than 90°.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
34 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Daniel, nice effort. my suggestion is increase  a bit the grip and try to perform the movement symmetrically as much as possible. some more degree are necessary for the goal and the head tilted forward it is a sign of lack of range of motion. btw you will notice that holding the head in place will be possible at 90° when you can lift up to more than 90°.

 

Cool, thanks @Alessandro Mainente. I wasn't sure if I had read that doing so was acceptable -- stretching the arms out a bit beyond shoulder-width to gain ROM -- but will do so with your go-ahead. Barring your suggestion, I wasn't really sure what else to do to get into the end ROM. I will work on getting the 90 degrees ROM comfortably (with my head back and shoulder rolled back) and try to the up the weight a bit before reposting a form check. Might be a while before that happens. Guess my headstands will just get extra focus in the meantime. Cheers. 

Guido Franchetti

Hi Daniel,

Not sure this applies to you, but when I was working on PE2 Cole told me to keep the arms narrower, so that the arms are parallel rather than forming an acute angle. It seems to me that your elbows are a bit too open - but I am just a beginner.

You can have a look at my thread here

Alessandro Mainente

Tips that he needs are already been stated.

Patrick Rentz
21 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Cool, thanks @Alessandro Mainente. I wasn't sure if I had read that doing so was acceptable -- stretching the arms out a bit beyond shoulder-width to gain ROM -- but will do so with your go-ahead. Barring your suggestion, I wasn't really sure what else to do to get into the end ROM. I will work on getting the 90 degrees ROM comfortably (with my head back and shoulder rolled back) and try to the up the weight a bit before reposting a form check. Might be a while before that happens. Guess my headstands will just get extra focus in the meantime. Cheers. 

To +1 this I remember from one of coach Sommer's podcasts he mentions the way he likes to take people thru dislocates is very similar: start as wide as you need to, and once you get to acceptable width mastery with no weight, add weight and move the arms back out, and repeat the process.