This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

(Way Too Early) Thoughts on New Format

Started by Mark Carter, September 22, 2016 · 2 Replies · 209 Views

Mark Carter

So, it's been almost a week and there's been a lot on the forums about the new format.  Here are a couple/few thoughts on it:

  • First and foremost, you can tell that a *ton* of time, effort, thought and consideration went into this.  Kudos to @Coach Sommer and the rest of the team.  You continue to work towards enhancing an already awesome product.
  • With change, there is adjustment.  And sometimes that adjustment is difficult.  Just go with it.  You'll adapt and be better for it. 
  • Don't get too worked up on where you are exactly in progressions due to changes.  For example, on SLS I *knew* that I could do SLS/PE1 for mastery.  The first time I did it, it had me on 4X15. I did it, clicked "Easy Smiley," and the next day it was on 5X15.  I did it, clicked "Easy Smiley," and I'm sure the next time it will have me on SLS/PE2.  Look, you may be able to master all the way too SLS/PE5, but just step back for a moment and enjoy the ride.  In the end, you may set your SLS work back a couple/few weeks max.  In the grand scheme of things, that's nothing.
  • I like the video follow along feature and am incredibly impressed with how much work went into that, since each video is for the progression you're on.  I have to admit, that when I work out in the gym I won't have it on the whole time.  I'll look at the video for a set to get the tempo down, but then I'll turn it off.  The wifi in my gym doesn't work where I do my GST training, and I don't want to burn through all my data.  When I work out at home, I'll probably use it.  Regardless of how each individual uses the video, there is nothing nearly like this in the marketplace with how robust the videos are.  It is truly set up for helping us achieve success.
  • I like the flexibility of choosing workouts.  I used to be pretty decent at completing and entering my workouts.  I set it up using a MTTF template.  But I rarely adhered 100% to that schedule.  I got each workout in 2X/week, but *when* I got it done was highly variable.  Now, each element's progression will be tailored to the work you are actually doing. 
  • Yes, some of the workouts are grouped differently now.  You still have control to group your own elements.  For example, pick Upper Body, and if you don't want to do one of the elements, don't.  Skip it and then do it next time.  Or, do them in the current group and let your body readjust.  The key is to just do the work, and recover.  I think we sometimes get too buried in the details.  Don't let some new details keep you from being consistent. 
  • There's a lot being said about the deletion of deload weeks.  I honestly don't understand that.  If you truly *need* some additional recovery, then take a couple/few days off.  While I 100% agree with the concept of periodized training and deload times (I used them regularly in powerlifting), the truth is that if your sleep/nutrition/stress are all in check, then you (we) probably don't need 12 deload weeks in a year.  A couple weeks are probably plenty, if at all.  And even the most adherent of us have real life, kids, schedules, vacations, etc. that provide for natural deload time.  Don't use a "deload week" as an excuse (hey, I'm at 50% training volume this week so I'm going to eat pizza and drink beer and party every night because the workouts aren't as taxing).  Besides, you'll get deload weeks back after F1.

Sorry for the long post.  I welcome input on your experience with using the new system the first week.

Regards,

Mark

Suzanna McGee

While every change is always slightly challenging to adjust to, this really went very smoothly for me. I think with an open mind, we all can adjust fast. My first week in the new system was fine. I may not like the smiley faces because I am a number freak, and I like to see the  numbers and my progressions (in numbers) and the smileys don't do it to me… But I understand the simplicity for folks who are not anal about numbers. So I am going to create my own spreadsheet/Evernote note where I am going to log my numbers, so I can see my progress that way. While it is a slight inconvenience for me, it  really is no big deal. It doesn't take much extra time, just a discipline on my end to log in my numbers daily.

The SLS change up was fine for me too. I continued where I left off before (means I jumped to F2 :) ) and I did all the past progressions in one session, just to see if I can do them and if I am challenged. My legs are the strongest thing on me, so it was not a problem for me. The new F1 made me happy for a moment on the RC, because I was stuck on those hinge rows :) I am aware that my happiness will pass soon, because I will be back at those hinge rows really soon again. 

I am impressed with all the GB team and their hard work in creating this new F1 and the responsiveness to people's comments in the forums this week. So much work behind the scenes, that we probably cannot even imagine… Thank you, GB coaches and team, and @Coach Sommer!!!

Antonio Alías Montoya

Opossite to me. I don t even like to count my reps when I m training!