What brand/model of climbing rope is used/recommended by GB?

Started by Sal Cobian, September 22, 2016 · 5 Replies · 2,521 Views

Sal Cobian

Does anyone know the particular brand/model of climbing ropes used/recommend  by GB or any other gymnastics studios?

I understand that climbing ropes should be made out of  polypro (nylon) and it should be 1.5" in diameter but I have checked online (amazon & google) and there a lot of options out there. I also searched this site but I could not find actual brand/model.

I am looking to save money and time by buying something that I know will work the first time. It is possible other people will find the this info useful too.

Thanks,

Coach Sommer

Hi Sal,

Brand is inconsequential as long as the diameter of the rope is 1.5".

Be aware that some pure manila ropes have a tendency to shed.  Some a great deal.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Sal Cobian

Thanks for the feedback Coach Sommer. I had ordered  Rogue's manila climbing rope but I ended up returning it because of the shedding and the horrible chemical odor. Leading to wasted personal and training time :-)

Based on your feedback from YouTube, I decided to go the polypro route but I now see that there are a whole bunch of options

https://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=5

Here is the current candidate:

https://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/8-Strand-Polypropylene-Rope-c75.htm

thoughts?

I do find that details matter a great deal on most training equipment.   I don't have any experience with climbing ropes that's why I decided to go with the Rogue manila climbing rope but it was no good because of the reasons described.

Based on my reading not all exercise ropes make a good climbing rope. So I am looking to save time by relying on the knowledge forum members ...

 

 

Francesco Pudda

In the description of the rope you posted there is written this:

 

Quote

This rope, however, is not good for climbing, our 1 1/2" manila is a much better choice.

I don't know what experts may say about this

Sal Cobian

Yes, the summary description doesn't mentioned it but the detailed description does. That's a rather important piece of information and you would probably want it the summary description.

That's why I didn't go for that one and decided to go with the one from Amazon which I posted right after (  https://amzn.com/B007TR73GQ). The reviews are 45/45 which made me take the plunge. 

I was surprised by the comment that brand/model(# strands, braid) are not consequential but I don't doubt Coach Sommer for a second. He probably doesn't see that rope as a climbing rope.

I am probably too much of a detail oriented perfectionist! I am big about the different hand feel of objects and their brands.