This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1-im Question

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, September 21, 2016 · 10 Replies · 220 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, for the PE i'm relatively well established and am comfortable with 5x15. My main issue is the iM. On these, I still get clicking in my shoulder as I descend and rotate that top arm. I still find it hard to keep pace with the follow-along video. I still find it hard to drop fully down to where my arm is comfortably back behind me. I'm still a bit shy of 10% bodyweight on the dumbbell. What would be the best course of action to shore up these issues? Should I keep working the weight until I can get 10% of my bodyweight and then worry about the clicking and the pace, and the depth of ROM on my hips/hamstrings? Or should I dial it back? I worry that if I lower the weight I won't get a stretch in my hamstrings, however, if I don't lower the weight I feel like I'll stick get a clicking my shoulder. Or should I focus on decreasing the crepitus in my shoulder during internal/external rotation first? Furthermore, if I did lower the weight, I might be better able to keep pace with the follow-along video (though my assumptions are no guarantee). I've posted video checks before and my form is about the same. I'm just curious as to people's suggestions and wondering about which of these routes is most important for seeing progress, so I can move along with this iM and on to PE2. Thanks.

Judith Newton

Hi Daniel -

With the caveat that i'm a relative newbie (who has been scouring the forums), i'll make a go .. :-)

My expectation is that you should not worry about the clicking/crepitus at all if it is not painful.  Also, keep the weight at the highest manageable level, improving form and pace, and increasing the weight when you can match the pace with good form.

That's what i think i would do based on my current understanding, but i'm quite willing to learn otherwise !

cheers !

 

Samin Ishtiaq

I ignore clicking, as long as it doesn't hurt. :-)

But, definitely, if with the weight you have right now, you can't keep pace+extension, then reduce it until you can. And then increase it slightly over time.

Martin Jones

I too would be curious to hear the opinions on clicking during this movement as I get it in my left shoulder (no pain).

Keegan Yentsch

Where are you getting the idea that you must master this with a dumbbell equaling 10% of your body weight? Pretty sure neither of the athletes in the follow along video weigh equal to or less than 100 lbs, and unless they are both giants the Dumbbells they are using are not much more (if even) 10 lbs.

My understanding was that 5 lbs (2.5 kg) was the minimum required weight for mastery. I suppose I could see waiting till you hit 10 lbs, but don't think we need to hit 10%. 

Judith Newton

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Keegan Yentsch said:

Where are you getting the idea that you must master this with a dumbbell equaling 10% of your body weight? Pretty sure neither of the athletes in the follow along video weigh equal to or less than 100 lbs, and unless they are both giants the Dumbbells they are using are not much more (if even) 10 lbs.

My understanding was that 5 lbs (2.5 kg) was the minimum required weight for mastery. I suppose I could see waiting till you hit 10 lbs, but don't think we need to hit 10%. 

 

 

1 hour ago, Judith Newton said:

 

 

Well. That is helpful. I did a cooldown set of this iM after my Foundation session yesterday and I used 8 lbs. and it didn't feel that bad at all. I felt I could drop down and no noise. My plan for tomorrow's core work was to drop down to 10lbs. But, given these comments I may reconsider and go even to about 8lbs (I think that's about 5kgs....i really flipping hate the conversions between metric and imperial measurements, lol, even though I used the metric system for about 5 years overseas. Also, I am really enjoying the ability to do core as many times as i want now and not have to ALSO do upper or lower body.

Alessandro Mainente

Daniel, first thing stay away from pain, second, try to reach the best of your range of motion with an X weight, then increase the weight. weighted stretch is very hard on muscle and connective tissue. begin with a heavy weight directly increases more the protection reaction of the body rather than a full relaxation.

Judith Newton

Both of my shoulders rumble and click even with no weight and trying to find a quiet path :-) .. and i have a pretty good ROM, being able to reach the ground well behind my heels.. i've been using a 5 lb dumbbell for this exercise.. my main issue is strength/stability in the left shoulder as the weight seems to wander a bit more forward and back on that side as i bend

Jon Douglas

It sounds to me like you are going a bit too heavy if pace and potentially control are suffering. As Alessandro says it's a process of gradual disinhibition and strengthening, not a tear em open from the get-go :D

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

It sounds to me like you are going a bit too heavy if pace and potentially control are suffering. As Alessandro says it's a process of gradual disinhibition and strengthening, not a tear em open from the get-go :D

Noted. I've decided to dial down the weight until I see improvements in pace, ROM, and comfort.