This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting Out - Edit Progression Settings vs. Clicking Smiley

Started by Matt Watts, September 21, 2016 · 4 Replies · 245 Views

Matt Watts

I am not sure what the previous options were, but as a new student I am trying to understand how to best set up my interface.  When I click the "easy" smiley, does that send me from Step 1 to Step 2 in FL/PE1 tomorrow, does it send me from Step 1 to Step 2 in FL/PE1 next week, or does it send me from FL/PE1 to FL/PE2 tomorrow or next week?  

This is not the first time I have done any bodyweight training so I would like to ensure that I am at an appropriate level, but I also do not want to rush anything.  Is there a way to test my mastery of PE1 in each of the progressions ahead of time?  Should I manually move from step 1 to step 2 if a workout is really easy afterward in the settings?  Should I move from PE1 to PE2 in the progressions for my next workout to test them out?  

Advice is appreciated.  Thanks all.  

Cory Fair

Hi Matt,

Great questions. You will move up one step per week based on the smileys. If this is way too easy, click settings in the sidebar and choose Step 9 for that progression. If you pass Step 9, you can move on to PE2. :)

Matt Watts

cheers.  thanks much Cory.

Kanesa Seraphin

Similar question - I am looking for help setting my F1 steps. 

I started with fundamentals/H1 in August and had a week of foundation before the new system went live (but I'd spent a lot of time checking it out while I played around in fundamentals/H1).

I know with the new system, there is no recommended test to mastery to start... but I feel like starting on step 1 is too easy. 

I want to do good background work (see explanation in my bio), and I'm okay with F1 taking a while as my primary goal is mobility, but I'm still feeling a bit held back by starting at step 1. My issue therefore is not wanting to compromise my progress while at the same time knowing it's a bit too easy now, and looking ahead in the progressions and seeing that it will take me 1.5 years to progress weekly through each step, if I continue from step 1 in each progression.

So, following up on your recommendation for testing step 9, and in the interest of not wanting to rush, would it be meaningful to spend a month on each progression, say starting at step 6 (which is more like 6 mo. to progress through F1 assuming the unreality of smooth progress) ... or should I stay starting with step 1, even if I can do step 9 now? 

Thoughts appreciated. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Kanesa, I understand your point buy you had only one week on F1, my suggestion is yes, begin with the first week and post a form check while holding a easy sets x reps. using directly high reps could be a bad solution for bad movement habits. For the biggest part of people the early schema are useful to understand body and segment positioning rather then pure strength work.