Jefferson Curl plus Dead Hang from the Bar

Started by Davide Isernia, September 21, 2016 · 6 Replies · 2,997 Views

Davide Isernia

Hello everyone,

is it "normal" to experience intense "screaming" from my spine if I dead hang from a bar right after Jefferson Curl sets?
If its not what would you suggest?

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, because they are 2 opposite position, during the hang the lower back and hips muscles are engaged to stabilize the lower body, if you have previously stretched with the JC you are in a position where muscles need to work but they are too stretched to provide the necessary assistance, you should avoid that.

David McManamon

Go lighter (maybe a lot lighter) on your Jefferson Curls and increase your core strength.

Eva Pelegrin

This is an interesting question. @Alessandro Mainente I use JCs to losen my lower back before my HLL and I don't experience any pain. In my case my lower back/spine is pretty stiff and my spine flexion is what's preventing me from improving my HLL. I have to warm it up with JC or pike work or it won't budge. Hope that's ok in my case!

Alessandro Mainente

I experience this situation approximately on BW JC. At the end of all set , like after the the F4 legs elements, I use to hang in a inverted position (with and inverted bench) , this type of  spine relaxation is more safe after some heavy legs/lower back work.

Coach Sommer

Hi Davide,

Simple solution.  Simply switch the order; do jefferson curl first followed by dead hang.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Davide,

Like Coach said, switch the order, then let us know if you're still having problems. If you are still feeling pain, further suggestions can be given.