This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS SE 3 updated requirement

Started by Douglas Reinot, September 21, 2016 · 12 Replies · 264 Views

Douglas Reinot

I'm looking for clarification on the new requirement for SE3 (negative SLS). Is the new requirement for 10 full 10 second negatives per leg? This would clock time under tension at 3:20 for a single set! The athlete demonstrates a 5-6s negative, but I know the "but the athlete does it faster!" excuse is shot down for other negative rep exercises.  Are we looking for 10s negatives or just slow, controlled negatives?

Jason Dupree

For the reps it's 5 each leg, 10 total. At least it used to be. 5 each side is hard enough to make the full SLS feel easy, especially at 10 seconds. I don't know how strict the coaches are with negatives, maybe they use a metronome, maybe they just count one one thousand, but if you master this at a strict 10 the next two elements will be super easy. 

Douglas Reinot

5 each leg for a total of 10 does make a certain amount of sense, but with out going into any detail here, the rep schemes for SLS in F4 make me think this might not be the case. If it is, then I'll need to kick my question down the road to the F4 form for clarification. My understanding was that unilateral exercises were to be done with the prescribed reps per side meaning that the required volume doubled for PE8, SE1, and SE 3-5 with the update.

Jason Dupree

Huh, you're right. I'd wait for someone important to chime in :)

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Exercises that alternate from your left to your right or visa versa. Each side is one repetition.

Each set is ten repetitions total or five per leg and each repetition has a ten second negative.

Using a digital metronome is common.

Douglas Reinot

Rayne-William ~ This is the protocol I had been following (using a metronome), but if indeed 10 reps is the total for both legs for the F3 progressions, I think there might be some inconsistency with the notation for the FLS progressions in F4 . As such, I was hoping for one of the coaches to chime in with confirmation. 

Alessandro Mainente

SLS SE is 10 reps total, 5 each leg.

Antonin Bouglé

Greetings,

I'm jumping on the train,

So just to be sure I understood well, when it's written 5x10r on SLS progressions (like on PE8 / SE1 ... etc), it actually means the same thing as before the update, i.e. 5reps per leg on unilateral leg exercices, not double the double of the previous requirements right ?

Everett Carroll

Yes Antonin, I believe that is correct. The current notations are total reps between the two legs for SLS is F3. 

Antonin Bouglé

Ok Everett, thank you for your reply.
I'm gonna resume training on hawaiian squats as before, while using those new SLS entry progressions as warm-up/prehab then :)

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
8 hours ago, Douglas Reinot said:

Rayne-William ~ This is the protocol I had been following (using a metronome), but if indeed 10 reps is the total for both legs for the F3 progressions, I think there might be some inconsistency with the notation for the FLS progressions in F4 . As such, I was hoping for one of the coaches to chime in with confirmation. 

When you get to the F4 level specific exercises each set "starts on" the opposite leg. (IE: One sets starts with the left leg and the next sets starts with the right leg.)  Then again feel free to do at least five repetitions per leg as well, if you wish.

Marcus Patterson

So sorry but just to clarify. Is it 5 secs or so 10 secs negative?

Alessandro Mainente

I would say 10 seconds every single negative.