This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Core Frequency vs. Upper body and legs

Started by Chris Maudlin, September 20, 2016 · 4 Replies · 493 Views

Chris Maudlin

Is it ok or unbalanced to perform the core exercises 2x/wk and upper/lower body once? I feel core can handle more volume than the others.

Judith Newton

That's what i'm scheduling..

  • Core on Monday and Friday, followed by a Stretch
  • Upper, Lower and a Stretch on Wednesday
  • Handstand on Tuesday and Thursday
  • Movement on Saturday

It most closely matches what i was doing before the nice big change.

Ronnicky Roy

The change is actually pretty interesting. You can do all exercises every day of the week if you wanted to. It resets by the next day. You mark the ones you completed, by selecting the different smiley face options. Depending on the difficulty it lowers the difficulty, leaves it the same or increases the difficulty for future workouts. If you leave that blank on a given exercise, then that shows you didn't attempt it at all and will stay at that intensity. So if you're doing Core two days back to back, you can do Front lever/Straddle/ and leave SideLever/Manna blank then the next day do Manna/SL and leave the other two blank or do all four the next day if you feel up to it. It makes more sense quite honestly. If for whatever reason you don't have time to finish a workout and cut it short, you can just pick the ones you did and how each exercise felt, then leave it and come back later that day to do the other ones. Come the next day it all resets anyways. Only change I would make to the new system is allow for mastery testing of each exercise and start from there, rather than starting from a deload and building up over the next few weeks, while clicking "Too Easy" each workout. That's me, but the overall system makes a lot of sense and will be more fluid.

Wayne Smith

I plan to continue my splits, as I was doing them, ie FL, sPL,SLS, HBP one day, and SL, MN, RC on the other days. Will fit in stretch 3x a week, and possibly a random workout when I feel I have sufficient time on other days.  The great thing about this for me is that my work week follows an 8 day cycle, (4 on, 4 off - 14 hour days) so I can schedule the workouts appropriately.

Antony Stanley-Clarke
On 9/20/2016 at 10:53 PM, Chris Maudlin said:

Is it ok or unbalanced to perform the core exercises 2x/wk and upper/lower body once? I feel core can handle more volume than the others.

It would be great to have a forum coach comment on this. I too an experiencing that some elements could do with a higher frequency. Especially when reaching Steps 8/9 for mastery, where it feels like i am just training endurance and not strength. But perhaps this perception is wrong. For this 3 times a week feels like it would be more fruitful. However, i have yet to implement this and try it out. Some advice would be great.