Scapula position in front lever?

Started by Santiago Pinzón, September 20, 2016 · 8 Replies · 5,498 Views

Santiago Pinzón

Hello, I just wanted to clarify the scapula position in the front lever. Is it retracted or protracted? Thanks!

Coach Sommer

Hi Santiago,

Protracted and depressed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jesse Kim

I thought it was neutral-geared towards retracted.

Coach Sommer

Hi Jesse,

For beginners attempting to describe partial protraction is too confusing and abstract.

Retracted is incorrect, unless it is in reference from full protraction to almost neutral.  Note however that almost neutral is still protracted.  

Note also that it is physically impossible to perform a front lever with actually retracted scaps as the act of retraction disengages the lats.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

You can feel this standing with arms by sides, depressing your shoulders hard, and moving from retraction to protraction and back, and observing the difference in lat tension doing so :)

Alessandro Mainente

Not a case a recent study on a Springer review reveals that the best activation of the lats is achieve by flexing the spine with opened scapulae, exactly the opposite of what you can obtain with full retraction.

Santiago Pinzón

@Alessandro Mainente Would this be like "spreading the back" or what do you mean? Yes I was confused because they usually pair planche and front lever as antagonist moves 

Jesse Kim
13 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Jesse,

For beginners attempting to describe partial protraction is too confusing and abstract.

Retracted is incorrect, unless it is in reference from full protraction to almost neutral.  Note however that almost neutral is still protracted.  

Note also that it is physically impossible to perform a front lever with actually retracted scaps as the act of retraction disengages the lats.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Oh, of course! :) That's what I meant to say. Sorry, I was saying retracted because retraction is used more of a cue than anything, but never fully retracted. I remember you stated this long ago in a post a couple of years back.

Alessandro Mainente
24 minutes ago, Santiago Pinzón said:

@Alessandro Mainente Would this be like "spreading the back" or what do you mean? Yes I was confused because they usually pair planche and front lever as antagonist moves 

this pairing happens because their knowledge is it very very poor.