Heel hang -upside down on a chinup bar

Started by rubadub, December 28, 2009 · 10 Replies · 6,080 Views

rubadub

What do you guys make of this

36_1lEJFt5Q

The heel hang is a brutal isometric contraction of the hamstrings in which you fight to hold yourself up from the downward pull of gravity. Similar to a glute ham raise, this exercise develops the posterior chain in ways that very few exercises can. By increasing the strength in the posterior chain, you will improve your leg power for jumping and sprinting.

Warning - Do not perform this exercise on a bar that is more than a few inches taller than a height at which you can reach the ground with your hands in the exercise position.

If you had rings it would be easy to assist yourself with them set at the correct height.

Joshua Naterman

Looks great! Thanks for the post, I like it :) :twisted:

Nick Van Bockxmeer

actually heel hang is straight out of static trapeze and is typically performed barefoot (yes...ouch).

If you had rings it would be easy to assist yourself with them set at the correct height.

yes...we hang a strap off the trapeze and use the arms to take the weight off as much as necessary.

rubadub
slizzardman said:
Looks great! Thanks for the post, I like it :) :twisted:
Well thanks to yourself I found it! :D

I found it when looking at your youtube channel, your "favourited" video of the wall climbing has lots of good videos.

Barefoot does sound harsh, I was thinking extra padding would be needed. I have ropes on my chinup bar that I could use to assist too, since I expect you might want to work your way up & down.

Joshua Naterman

HAHA awesome :)

Gregor

HAHAHA I'm on your "favourited" videos to :mrgreen:

Marcelo Lara

Looks brutal and scary! I tried to do that and I couldn't because I had the fear of falling myself from the hang.

rubadub

I tried it and it is tough no doubt, but there is less pain/stress on the foot than I expected. I did it with trainers & socks on. I held myself with ropes which worked well, I only went a few seconds in the hang with no assistance, I was able to pull myself up with the ropes and lower myself down so it is not just an isometric hold. You could alternate the holds upside down and sort of do reps, like hold just the ropes for 20s, then hold with just feet for 5s, alternating between the 2 holds, which to the viewer could look identical.

Gregor said:
HAHAHA I'm on your "favourited" videos to :mrgreen:
Can you please give a link to your youtube channel. I find looking at favourites to be a great way to search in youtube, and would like to see your own videos too.
Gregor
rubadub said:
Can you please give a link to your youtube channel. I find looking at favourites to be a great way to search in youtube, and would like to see your own videos too.

Well, it's not on my channel, because I didn't filmed it and post it on youtube. Search for user piletich and I'm there among his videos.

Joshua Naterman

The video of your competition is fantastic, you really are solid with your crosses and malteses. The handstands seem a little unstable, but overall you are super impressive!

Gregor

Thanx. Yes my poor flexibility. As a child I couldn't rise my hands higher then my eyes. Now easly behind ears, but still this is not good for gymnasts...

Now I have harder routine with inverted and harder first maltese...Long road to achive my latest goals :oops: