This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 changes

Started by Chris Scarborough, September 20, 2016 · 9 Replies · 480 Views

Chris Scarborough

Coach Sommer/ forum coaches, 

i noticed there were more levels to 1 leg squat (deck squat is now SL/PE 5 I think) 

this is great since I lacked mobility and couldn't complete a single rep of deck squats.  However, levels all the way up to SL/PE 4 are easy.  

Should I simply "lower the elevation" SL/PE 4?

thx in advance

Tim Opsahl

I had the same reaction... but since the original deck squat mastery test put my achilles out for 3 weeks on my first foundation day I'm okay with moving slowly on this one :P  

Keegan Yentsch

In the form notes for the new PE/4 "Elevated Deck Squat" it says to "remove them (the mats) over time." So my guess is that if you can't jump straight to PE/5, then doing PE/4 with progressively less elevation/mats is an expected "step" towards being able to do PE/5.

Hope this helps.

PAUL DALY

Yeah, I have a question on the programming on this one. 

I think I'll have a relatively easy time getting to 5x15 using mats as shown in the video I just followed for 3x2 elevated deck squats. 

But. . . assuming I can't then progress right to a deck squat on the floor, what do I do with the programming next? Lower the mats and go back to step 1 (3x2)? Does the programming allow for that?

I guess I can just wait and see but I'm curious. 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You would reach mastery (5x15) on whatever number of mats you're using, let's say 4. Since you'll have accumulated that much endurance in this PE, just stay at step 9. Lower the mats from 4 to 3 when it becomes easier/your mobility improves. Eventually, you'll be doing a deck squat with no additional mats, and if your iM is up to par then you would move on to PE5.

PAUL DALY
On December 12, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

You would reach mastery (5x15) on whatever number of mats you're using, let's say 4. Since you'll have accumulated that much endurance in this PE, just stay at step 9. Lower the mats from 4 to 3 when it becomes easier/your mobility improves. Eventually, you'll be doing a deck squat with no additional mats, and if your iM is up to par then you would move on to PE5.

so I'm there now -- I cranked out the elevated deck squats at a certain elevation -- about 3 inches. It now wants me to go to deck squats from the ground. I can't hack it! So, yeah, I'll enter "Too hard" and do elevated deck squats again with a slightly lower elevation. and keep doing that until I'm working off the ground.

Unless someone has a better idea? 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
11 hours ago, PAUL DALY said:

so I'm there now -- I cranked out the elevated deck squats at a certain elevation -- about 3 inches. It now wants me to go to deck squats from the ground. I can't hack it! So, yeah, I'll enter "Too hard" and do elevated deck squats again with a slightly lower elevation. and keep doing that until I'm working off the ground.

Unless someone has a better idea? 

 

No that seems right. Find some way to make it two inches and then one... (you could either lower the area onto which you roll, or you could raise your feet slightly to eventually meet in the middle.)

Jon Douglas

That's the right approach yep

PAUL DALY

thanks.

I placed a couple of yoga mats in front of the panel mats I'm rolling onto like you suggested so the elevation is now about 2.5 inches (instead of 3).

Doing 4x10 was just a little challenging at that level -- I cruised through the first 3 sets, on the 4th set, I lost my balance coming up on number 8. Otherwise, good. 

I think i'll be able to lick this.

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
42 minutes ago, PAUL DALY said:

thanks.

I placed a couple of yoga mats in front of the panel mats I'm rolling onto like you suggested so the elevation is now about 2.5 inches (instead of 3).

Doing 4x10 was just a little challenging at that level -- I cruised through the first 3 sets, on the 4th set, I lost my balance coming up on number 8. Otherwise, good. 

I think i'll be able to lick this.

 

Good on ya, just keep at it. Then PE5 will be a breeze.