Pull up progression videos

Started by Joshua Naterman, December 27, 2009 · 6 Replies · 4,369 Views

Joshua Naterman

Happy holidays everyone! I made a pull up video yesterday and it was 11 minutes so I split it into two videos, which are linked in below. Watch part 1 first, and then part 2!

These videos should address all the major questions about pull ups, as well as whether weighted pull ups are a good idea and, if you choose to use them, the basics on how to program them in. That part is not too specific because that has to be determined on an individual basis in order to meet individual training goals.

SVW7_-wnHbI

uTlME3u_oNs

Please give feedback on what you all think, I know the quality isn't perfect. I'll re-make these if people feel they should be cleaned up.

MCem222

I liked the video, the variations were well explained

However, there was a lot of background noise, and I had a little trouble understanding you

Did you say not to do Y-pullups with legs in an L? I thought you said that was "absolutely terrible" for you, but im not sure why it would be

Joshua Naterman

Wide, not Y. You don't want to do wide L pull ups with the bar behind the neck. The forces acting on the shoulder will almost guarantee an injury. You have to be leaning back slightly to do the wide L pull ups, and you have to be leaning forward to do the wide pull ups behind the bar. Try them both and then imagine combining them. Not a smart idea.

Blairbob

Flatter L PU, heheh. :wink:

Perhaps negatives or bands for beginners or horizontal/body rows. Maybe even something about jumping pullups or lock offs at the top for noobs.

MCem222
slizzardman said:
Wide, not Y. You don't want to do wide L pull ups with the bar behind the neck. The forces acting on the shoulder will almost guarantee an injury. You have to be leaning back slightly to do the wide L pull ups, and you have to be leaning forward to do the wide pull ups behind the bar. Try them both and then imagine combining them. Not a smart idea.

Oh, thats pretty funny

I've always referred to what you call Y pullups as wide pullups. I can't even imagine getting into an L and pushing my neck in front of the bar, sounds like a recipe for disaster

Joshua Naterman
Blairbob said:
Flatter L PU, heheh. :wink:

Perhaps negatives or bands for beginners or horizontal/body rows. Maybe even something about jumping pullups or lock offs at the top for noobs.

I'm going to do a video for pull up newbies :) I like to try and stick to just one topic per video. I talk to damn much to do more than that :)

SamSpaiser

Yea, great video Slizzardman! I would love to see a beginner pull up video, since I would consider myself still in that category. I'm always significantly scaling down Coach's workouts, and find that the jumping pullups are working really well for me right now, especially on the rings where I have a lot of flexibility with the ring height.