This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Monday update : new exercises grouping question

Started by Antonin Bouglé, September 19, 2016 · 4 Replies · 239 Views

Antonin Bouglé

Greetings,
I'm posting this because I am curious regarding the reason behind the new grouping system :)
Before we had FL/sPL/HBP/RC and SL/MN/SLS usually split into two separate training days (3 or more days a week was depending on your recovery).

Then now its
UPPER BODY : sPL/HBP/RC
CORE : FL/SLS/MN
LOWER BODY : SLS

Coach is really clear and detailed about the whys of programming (may that be in the FAQs, or Podcasts) so I'd like to know why FL went to pair with MN, i.e. what are the anatomical/practical/mechanical motivations behind those changes (as a future trainer myself). 
Is it a practical reason, or is it better in term of performance progression ?
It is clear that hard pulls variations use alot of core strength, so is it a way to make upper body progress more consistant by isolating the dedicated core workouts to avoid core fatigue before practising sPL/HBP/RC ?

Thank you in advance for your answers ;)

Everett Carroll

Hi Antonin,

I believe these were grouped this way to more easily separate the focus of each workout. As long as you are training all of these elements each week, progress should not be an issue. When you click on a given workout, you are shown in the upper left which day of the week it is recommended you perform it. For example, when you click on 'Core', it shows that you Coach recommends you train this on Monday. This grouping also includes pike mobility so it is no wonder this has been put early in the week.

Antonin Bouglé

Thank you Everett,

I'm gonna give it a go using the exercises groupes as their are presently, then fine tune along the road.

John Cunningham

Regarding the day of the week recommendation, my understanding is that as long as you complete it in the week it doesn't matter ?

I do F1 and H1 once a week at the moment, F1 on Monday and Friday and H1 on Wednesday and would rather keep to that schedule as it also allows me some flexibility if I cannot make it on a particular day. 

I am loving the RC and SLS changes, now if Coach could just move the swivel hips upstream I would really, really love it !!

 

 

 

Antonin Bouglé

@John,

I think that recommandation days are more geared toward newcommers on the program. Or persons with no prior strength training experience, as a minimum per week amount to ensure progress, while staying manageable oin both terms of time/recovery.

Coach stated that many peoples have difficulties completing weeks. And, as much as I am dedicated to the program, I could'nt myself recovery fast enough to stay on a F1/4 days a week while doing H1 and stretches, as I go quite intense on the tension. Which caused me to miss many workouts here and there. I made good and constant progress, but I had to dial it back to 3 days, and even now it still needs time getting used to it.

So I assume than encouraging peoples starting 1 sessions of each per week for a time, to get used to it, recover well, stay consistent for a period, is a good segway to gradually increase training frequency, without overdoing it at the beginning.