This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Welcome change to RC progression: Hinge rows, I'll get you yet!

Started by Greg McDonald, September 19, 2016 · 23 Replies · 856 Views

Greg McDonald

Initial confusion over the new interface:  Is it broken? Where are the dreaded hinge rows?  What's this "inclined row" business?  Any where are my deck squats... I was making slow progress with those, but still. you know, progress...

Becomes ELATION upon realizing that hinge rows have just been moved to a later stage in the progression... and that I can actually **do** some of those inclined rows (unlike the hinge rows).  Thanks @Coach Sommer and the GB team for adjusting your concept of "beginner".

Prasan Samtani

I showed up Monday hoping to finally progress to incline rows, since 2 weeks ago I finally hit 5x15 on hinge rows.

 

And now I find I will have to face them again 3 progressions down the line :lol:

Antonin Bouglé

Hinge rows bumped to PE5 was indeed the surprise.
Starting slowly in may after a shoulder tendinopathy, I was closing on the 4x15 (this week would have been it), and I suddently feels like I'm cheating by going straigth to the incline rows ^^

In a sense it seems logical ; before starting GB, I was crushing set of inclines rows in my custom program, and hinge rows seemed so hard by contrast when starting it. No wonder lats and guns were growing alot the past few months.

Wayne Grima

Ok for real, so it actually is the 1 st element progression for rope climb. The reason I say

this is because when I clicked on rope climb to see all theprogressions for this element 

then clicked to view the Tech Tip video it is called PE2 by the instructor. I thought it may

be a mistake as mobility tech tip is under PE and the PE tip video is under the mobility header.

I'm so looking forward to getting into F1 with new interface.

Maksis Riley

There is a lot of discussion going in at the moment with the new changes, but the search didn't get me what I was looking for; forgive me if I've missed this somewhere.....

 

I know the change to RC/PE6 from 60s to 30s template was intentional. What about the other progressions? Are ground rows now 15r, Bulgarian 10 and hinge rows 5???? This is what my dashboard displays.

 

Max

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, what you are seeing it is correct.

Maksis Riley

Ah very well, thanks Alessandro.

 

Max

Greg White

I'd just mastered Hinge Rows! It'll be interesting when they come up again.

Koenraad Van Leemput

5 x 5 should be quite easy :D

Greg White
1 minute ago, Koenraad Van Leemput said:

5 x 5 should be quite easy :D

Saaaay whaaaaat?

It's only 5x5 now! (Goes and checks)

Hmmmm. I'll just breeze through in one set..................... 

To those people not attempting to master 5 x 15, I weep for your loss of tremendous rotator cuff  / rear delt / bicepzzz gainzzzz. 

:(

Koenraad Van Leemput

Yes, I still plan to persist untill I get to the @Jon Douglas point, where I can do 1 x 50 as a warmup B-)

Greg White
Just now, Koenraad Van Leemput said:

Yes, I still plan to persist untill I get to the @Jon Douglas point, where I can do 1 x 50 as a warmup B-)

Shizzle. 1 x 50 warm up. Hardcore.

I'm honestly glad I spent so much time going from hating these (took me 3 months to figure out how to actually do the goddam exercise) to now knowing they have a Jedi like quality and are one of the most valuable upper body exercises ever invented. 

Koenraad Van Leemput

I couldn't agree more @Greg White, after spending so much time on an exercise you develop a kind of Stockholm syndrome.  I got the same with push-ups and bent hollow body rocks :P.

Antonin Bouglé

Having struggled on hinge rows, and seen huge improvement by giving them time, I still think that going for the 5x15 when going back to them is valuable. Lats, arms, rotators, shoulders... Everything is pump and strengthen by those. For an entry exercices there are as hard to grasp as they are effiecients.

1x50 is behond imagination. But sure is a awesome goal. Breezing through this would mean so much endurance in the upper back, that sure is useful.

Jon Douglas
7 hours ago, Koenraad Van Leemput said:

Yes, I still plan to persist untill I get to the @Jon Douglas point, where I can do 1 x 50 as a warmup B-)

A single long set for some reason seems much easier than multiple mid range with a stretch in between :)

These are a great movement long term

Prasan Samtani
7 hours ago, Greg White said:

Shizzle. 1 x 50 warm up. Hardcore.

I'm honestly glad I spent so much time going from hating these (took me 3 months to figure out how to actually do the goddam exercise) to now knowing they have a Jedi like quality and are one of the most valuable upper body exercises ever invented. 

Easily my favorite exercise in F1, 18 months to beat it.

Antonio Alías Montoya

But do you people realize that mastering 5x15 ground rows will be harder than mastering 5x15 Hinge Rows? Now we wont get stucked in the first progression but in the second :P

Petri Widsten
8 minutes ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

But do you people realize that mastering 5x15 ground rows will be harder than mastering 5x15 Hinge Rows? Now we wont get stucked in the first progression but in the second :P

1 GR = 2 HR

Koenraad Van Leemput

Huh.... For me it is more like 1 HR = 2 GR...  Probably depends on your training history.

Antonio Alías Montoya

For me is 1 GR = 1.5 HR 

Samin Ishtiaq

I was too busy reading the main thread about the interface changes, and ignored the heading of this one.

But having looked at the RC progressions, this thread is spot on: Hinge Rows have been demoted! On the other hand, my nemesis PE3 Elevated Row has been promoted.

So, we might get Hinge Row, but the others might get us first. Gear up for battle people!

Paul Gray

Hehe or there's the other school of thought that says - why take the easy road and continue working towards 5 x 15r for the hinge rows (I can be quite stubborn!!)

And I don't want to miss out on what Greg alluded to - Rotator cuff / rear delt / bicepzzz gainzzzz  ;)

 

Samin Ishtiaq

Go get 'em @Paul Gray!

Blair Norwood

Damn, I only just realised PE6 was changed to 5x30 seconds. I've been closing in on 5x48 seconds for weeks now.

I've been working PE3, mastered that then working PE4, while working on PE6 at the same time (I've found personally that some targeted work at a higher level pays off big time for me so long as I don't over do it). Now I see that the mastery has changed, big questions lay ahead for me. I have to decide weather I continue working to 5x60 seconds, move on to PE7 for my additional work, or double down on PE4. Mind blown. Maybe I'll go back had make sure I do PE2 5x15 since the change.

Currently I'm thinking keep going for 5x60 seconds, before circling around to PE2 5x15. I like to work two slightly different PE's each week e.g I'm up to HBP PE12, but I still work PE2 each week.