This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Nutrition documentaries

Started by Ching Yin Leung, September 19, 2016 · 12 Replies · 290 Views

Ching Yin Leung

Can anyone recommend some documentaries/youtube videos (not books) that feature good/balanced nutritional advice, especially debunking fat and cholesterol myth? Since my SO had watched the whole food plant based diet documentary "Forks over Knives", he thinks we should avoid eating any dairy and egg due to "casein linked with cancer". I was at least able to convince him that meat is still essential because of B12.

I personally haven't seen FOK, but from what I've read it's basically unscientific reductionist propaganda, lumping the danger of processed food over consumption with meat as well. ("People are increasingly more obese and getting cancer. Most people eat processed food and meat. Thus we should only eat plant"). However, the appeal to authority (medical doctor and nutritional biochemist) is more convincing than my opinion, and certainly not when I'm myself just using counter arguments learned from random guy on internet (Sorry Jeff) or other nutrition blog posts.

Oussama KHELLADI

in my opinions you cant find better than the program of thrive in term of simplicity and applicability , and this is from someone who was searching and learning for along time on the web and always trying to improve nutrition knowledge and habits (i liked most the Charles poliquin articles most of the times they are very short and rich in information)

Ching Yin Leung

I already am doing Thrive lessons but want to get him on board with the guidelines as well. It's tough when he's more convinced by people with medical and research degrees, regardless of their hidden agenda.

Richard Carlow

His logic is flawed for starters. You could approach it from that pov, but doubt you would get any results. I would unpack the statement and agree whole heartedly that processed food is bad. Meat can be a processed food or not. Agree to get rid of all processed meats and all processed foods. That leaves you real meat. As for video documentaries I would look at Joel Salatin and Food Inc. 

Coach Sommer
4 hours ago, Ching Yin Leung said:

I already am doing Thrive lessons but want to get him on board with the guidelines as well. It's tough when he's more convinced by people with medical and research degrees, regardless of their hidden agenda.

Hi Ching Yin,

Then he is cherry picking which medical professionals to listen to as there are medical professionals on both sides of the discussion.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jared Birbeck

This one is good In Defense of Food

There is also a lot of stuff in MOOC

 

Ching Yin Leung
7 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Then he is cherry picking which medical professionals to listen to as there are medical professionals on both sides of the discussion.

Other than the usual media headlines, I think he's only aware of this one side of the debate delivered by medical professionals from FOK. Hopefully with other documentaries he can see it's a more complicated subject than what was presented.

Thanks for all the suggestions, will check them out!

Julia Quigley

You might want to check out Fat Head, too. I can't remember how much medical expertise he draws on, but it's an entertaining case study if nothing else.

Jeff Serven

Documentaries are for Homer Simpson types. If you want the latest information you gotta' hit the books. GCBC is the book to read to answer your question. 

David Eiche
On 9/25/2016 at 10:58 PM, Jeff Serven said:

Documentaries are for Homer Simpson types. If you want the latest information you gotta' hit the books. GCBC is the book to read to answer your question. 

"Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes is THE book to read on the subject, because the author accumulates evidence very patiently and convincingly. The book is now almost ten years old and there's been a lot of (mostly supportive) research done meanwhile. Also, the book requires a substantial time committment on the reader's part; i.e., it's long. It's worth it. Taubes has a follow-on book called: "Why We Get Fat". By Taubes's standard it's almost a Cliff's Notes version.

The really good news is that Taubes has a new book coming out in December on sugar. I suspect that it'll be as eye-opening as GCBC.

On a personal note, it's reading GCBC that led me indirectly to start "adjusting" my life and to GB.

 

 

 

 

 

Ching Yin Leung

Just finished reading Why We Get Fat. On first glance it seems to be more in line with a low-carb diet. What resources can I read/watch to further my understand why it's not sustainable/optimal in the long term (only a tool in the toolbox as Jeff says)?

Jeff Serven

First lets define "low carb"

Its anything below 60% of your days calories in carbs. Thrive by that definition easily fits low carb. 

The "low carbs" I would consider not sustainable for long periods of time would be below 10% but thats technically called VLKD, although it doest have to be keto. Many will argue that it does this and that but the commonality in most of those studies is they are shorter than 3 months. I don't know of any (legit studies, not some quack blogger) that show increased benefits past 3 months. 

Why we get fat is basically the lay persons GCBC. If you want more info about Taubes findings read that book. 

Ching Yin Leung
On 2016-11-03 at 3:27 PM, Jeff Serven said:

First lets define "low carb"

Its anything below 60% of your days calories in carbs. Thrive by that definition easily fits low carb. 

The "low carbs" I would consider not sustainable for long periods of time would be below 10% but thats technically called VLKD, although it doest have to be keto. Many will argue that it does this and that but the commonality in most of those studies is they are shorter than 3 months. I don't know of any (legit studies, not some quack blogger) that show increased benefits past 3 months. 

Why we get fat is basically the lay persons GCBC. If you want more info about Taubes findings read that book. 

Thanks Jeff. Looks like I just had to wait for more Thrive steps to open up. "Carbs 102" was a good starting point for me.