This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Very limited hip mobility remains

Started by Tessa Thomas, September 19, 2016 · 7 Replies · 198 Views

Tessa Thomas

First, I have to say that the GST Fundamentals course is far and away the best program that I have done, huge thank you Coach Sommer and the GST Team! 

A bit of background, I am a former NCAA DI and national level athlete (softball, Canada).  My background in softball has given me pretty good range of motion and strength in the shoulders, but I have had, and continue to have, very limited range of motion and mobility in the hips.  I haven't been able to sit cross-legged on the ground comfortably since I was about 5 (see photos for current ability).  I had an MRI done last year and was diagnosed with the very broad SI Joint Dysfunction (no impingements, or arthritis detected), for the past 18-24 months my glut. med. on the left side has felt more like an old, tight, leather belt than a supple soft tissue.  Sitting is not good for it, so I am doing the best I can to avoid sitting for long periods of time, I have a standing desk, and am on my feet quite a bit at work.  Physiotherapy, acupuncture, and massage only provided short-term relief so I decided to start from the beginning and give GST a try to see if I could correct a movement pattern or position.

I have completed the Fundamentals course and have gone back through it over the past 3 months to improve positions, but the hip mobility remains quite restricted.  There have been great improvements in hamstring, calf, ankle, and wrist flexibility, core strength, and thoracic mobility, I am very happy about the progress overall!  I don't expect changes overnight, but would be sincerely appreciative of any advice/insights/comments in general or in reference to the attached photos.

Many thanks.

GST1.jpg

GST2.jpg

Everett Carroll

Hi Tessa,

I do not know much about SI Joint Dysfunction but let's see if @Mark Collins @Wesley Tan Or @Alessandro Mainente have any advice for you. They usually do. 

Alessandro Mainente

I would like to hear the opinion of Mark and Wes before talking of my strategy. I have to say that 14 years of soccer I was in a similar situation as you. my biggest problem:

-glutes

-piriformis

-adductor

All these factor contribute so much on hip capsule restriction. In order to ge realistic  i spend the last 5 year trying to improve my condition. a Good position where to check progress it is the butterfly stretch pose. And yes I spend 5 year in order to reach the floor with the outer part of the lower legs.

Tessa Thomas

Thank you @Everett Carroll and Alessandro!

Alessandro - I agree, I also use the butterfly stretch pose to check progress, it would be a dream to reach the floor! I will stick with it! Your story gives me hope! Over the 5 year period were you doing the GST programs to improve the condition? Did you ever add weight or pressure to the knees to help the stretch, or did the knees gradually lower over time?

Alessandro Mainente

I begin in the same period I started the Foundations program (in the early 2011) after GB seminar. Since my condition wasn't good my physio told me to use only daily passive stretch of course you need to use a bit of pressure. The frog variation proposed on middle split course it is also a good way to improve strength on the groin, necessary for advanced stretching technique.

Wesley Tan

If the MRI didn't pick up anything wrong with your hip joints, and I assume they scanned all of your pelvis as well as the lumbosacral junction (S1/L5), then I see no reason why you can't improve your range of abduction and external rotation in the hips.

Personally as a therapist, I believe the SI joints are often blamed (often wrongly) for a lot of problems and discomfort in the pelvis and lower back. If there was no obvious structural anomalies detected in the SI's I would say the major cause for the tightness in the hips is as a reflex from the lower back.

You said yourself sitting is not good for it, and sitting is the major cause for a build of pressure in the lower back. That constant pressure is enough to cause reflexive changes in the tome of associated musculature.

Stick at it and give it time!

Wesley 

Kai Ewert

Just wanted to add that if I look at your pictures, all but the butterfly stretch look good to great. I think you have a great base to work from!

Tessa Thomas

Thank you Wesley I appreciate you taking the time to help me out! I will stick with everything for sure! I should mention, for reasons I won't get into here, the MRI did show an abnormality of an internal organ being tilted, which could be adding pressure on the low back, but that has been inconclusive unfortunately, so I can't say for sure that the two are correlated. I will definitely continue with GST and continue to monitor progress.

And thank you Kai for taking a look as well! Sincerely appreciated.