developing lower back strength ?

Started by Samuel Carr, December 27, 2009 · 11 Replies · 3,179 Views

Samuel Carr

Im not yet strong enough in my lower back to so RLL from a headstand, and i do not have acces to anything similar to a pommel horse to allow me to do RLLs on or archups. I do however, have access to a barbell and plates, and was wondering if i could just work deadlifts and build up on that until my lower back is strong enough to perform RLLs from a headstand, or other prep. press handstand work. Would this be okay?

Neal Winkler

I would do good mornings, stiff-legged deadlifts, or RDL's.

Blairbob

Yep.

Another exercise would be german hang to basket hang.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

personally I don't do deadlifts (I dont have weights in the places I train), however they should do good things for your strength.

Keep in mind you probably won't be hitting the full ROM required for headstand LL and handstand LL (pike press).

phken4343

What's a RLL again?

palmcron

Reverse Leg Lift - for example lifting the legs in a headstand or handstand.

Samuel Carr

What is an RDL?

Emil Brannmark

Romanian deadlift. A deadlift that starts from the hang, goin down not quite to the floor and then up. So it has an eccentric component as well, which standard deadlift lacks for the most part. Google for more instruction.

I would probably just do conventional deadlifts tho.

Edit: It's not really a deadlift at all.

Coach Sommer

Reverse Cranks in a variety of body positions would be an excellent choice for someone with limited equipment options.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

heinrich

I find headstand - RLL in straddle position much easier than legs straight and together.

I think a proper progression is tuck :arrow: straddle :arrow: pike

Coach Sommer
heinrich said:
I find headstand - RLL in straddle position much easier than legs straight and together.

I think a proper progression is tuck straddle pike

That is correct and excellent advice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Samuel Carr

okay ya im gonna try headstand RLLs in a straddle.Thanks