Quick question

Started by Rampage, December 27, 2009 · 10 Replies · 3,107 Views

Rampage

I have a question regarding handstands: lately I have been training them a lot, almost every day, with the stomach against the wall version, so I wanted to ask: when you train handstands like this, do you simply get as close as you can to the wall, and hold yourself with your stomach or whatever part touches the wall, for as long as you can, or if what you do is get close to the wall, and then push off as soon as you are in position, and then attempt to hold real handstands, but with the assistance of the wall?

I've found that, if I simply get into a stomach-against-wall HS, as close as I can, and hold it as much as I can with my chest, that I can hold it longer than if I got into a wall hs and attempt to push off and free balance as much as I can.

phken4343

I usually keep my feet on the wall and hold it for like 5~10 minutes. Also, handstand wall runs help.

Rampage
phken4343 said:
I usually keep my feet on the wall and hold it for like 5~10 minutes. Also, handstand wall runs help.

5-10 minutes? That's really good, shouldn't you be doing free standing handstands and HSPU's by now?

Neal Winkler

With wall handstands you are supposed to get as close as you can (2in. or less). This builds proper alignment, and you just hold this position to build endurance in the handstand position. Once you have built up a good amount of time, have your wrists come out from the wall about 6 inches. From here you practice freestanding handstands.

palmcron
Rampage said:
do you simply get as close as you can to the wall, and hold yourself with your stomach or whatever part touches the wall, for as long as you can

Your stomach shouldn't touch the wall. Ideally your toes touch the wall, and you go freestanding by pointing your feet upwards.

If your toes don't touch the wall, but something else does, you aren't straight.

Look at Ido's video, especially his stomach:

quC8faQJKIs

Rampage
trianglechoke7 said:
With wall handstands you are supposed to get as close as you can (2in. or less). This builds proper alignment, and you just hold this position to build endurance in the handstand position. Once you have built up a good amount of time, have your wrists come out from the wall about 6 inches. From here you practice freestanding handstands.

I think this is what I have been doing, standing like 4-6 inches from the wall and getting into a freestand as much as I could.

Rampage
palmcron said:
Your stomach shouldn't touch the wall. Ideally your toes touch the wall, and you go freestanding by pointing your feet upwards.

If your toes don't touch the wall, but something else does, you aren't straight.

Yeah well, in that video he's like 1-2 inches from the wall, I can't get that close yet haha :shock:

Neal Winkler
Rampage said:
palmcron said:
Your stomach shouldn't touch the wall. Ideally your toes touch the wall, and you go freestanding by pointing your feet upwards.

If your toes don't touch the wall, but something else does, you aren't straight.

Yeah well, in that video he's like 1-2 inches from the wall, I can't get that close yet haha :shock:

If you cannot get your wrists 1-2 inches from the wall, then don't bother with freestanding at this point, as you are unable to get get the proper alignment.

Coach on wall handstands: http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=293&p=807&hilit=wrists+handstands#p807

Rampage
trianglechoke7 said:
If you cannot get your wrists 1-2 inches from the wall, then don't bother with freestanding at this point, as you are unable to get get the proper alignment.

So unless I can hold a hs against the wall with my wrists 1-2 inches from the wall, which I can't right now, I shouldn't even do freestanding ones?

What I do is what C. Sommer said it that article: I get into a wall hs, and then I push my feet off and free balance for as long as I can, catching myself with the wall whenever I go back and then doing the same thing.

Blairbob

It will still aid you somewhat to practicing free handstands, but not all the way to vertical. With beginning gymnasts, we do a drill from something like a pushup position, where one leg is kicked to near vertical and they switch legs in the air while focusing on supporting themselves with their arms. It's a bit like a 3/4 HS (one leg near vertical, the other around horizontal).

Rampage

I'm really having problems getting my hands any nearer than 3 1/2" from the wall, that is as close as I could get, but I fell really uncomfortable. I think I usually get like 4 inches from the wall, when actually trying to get as close as I can; 3 1/2" was really doing a lot of effort and even then I nearly fell.

Will I eventually be able to get closer and closer? I should just keep holding it as close as I can get and it will come? I can't seem to imagine 0" from the wall to be possible, that's with your wrists touching the wall right?