This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/SE5 Form Check

Started by Petri Widsten, September 18, 2016 · 16 Replies · 122 Views

Petri Widsten

Decided to get this in before this element is moved to F3 which I don't have. Last of my 5 sets.

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Petri,

Your SLS is coming along nicely. Remember that when doing this exercise the goal is to keep the extended leg held at waist height throughout the entire set. Keep working at it!

Petri Widsten

Thanks for the feedback Jeremy. Never tried to keep the leg at waist height as I thought you should just keep it straight. I'll practice it.

Edit: If this is required why doesn't the course video show it?

Petri Widsten

@Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro, would you please clarify how the non-working leg should be kept? For it to be at hip level it should be horizontal (unlike in the course video). Is it OK just to strive to keep it as high as possible?

Alessandro Mainente

The movement must be adjusted in function of the personal situation but AT LEAST straight leg. 

Petri Widsten
6 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The movement must be adjusted in function of the personal situation but AT LEAST straight leg. 

So to demonstrate mastery we need to keep the leg straight and as high as we can, but mastery does not require the leg to be held horizontal at all times?

Should a horizontal leg be a long-term goal for post-mastery work?

Alessandro Mainente

Leg straight and high makes the exercise complete for the quads since you are training the resting legs on the hip portion of rectus femoris. basically we are doing 2 works, knee extension and hip flexion. 

How much can you hold the leg straight at the bottom depends on your ankle flexibility and hamstring flexibility. tight ankle force you to lean forward with upper body making the compression harder.

Petri Widsten
15 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Leg straight and high makes the exercise complete for the quads since you are training the resting legs on the hip portion of rectus femoris. basically we are doing 2 works, knee extension and hip flexion. 

How much can you hold the leg straight at the bottom depends on your ankle flexibility and hamstring flexibility. tight ankle force you to lean forward with upper body making the compression harder.

So I'll strive to keep the leg as high as possible during the descent and ascent to work the quads more. Thank you Alessandro!

Petri Widsten
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Leg straight and high makes the exercise complete for the quads since you are training the resting legs on the hip portion of rectus femoris. basically we are doing 2 works, knee extension and hip flexion. 

How much can you hold the leg straight at the bottom depends on your ankle flexibility and hamstring flexibility. tight ankle force you to lean forward with upper body making the compression harder.

I tried holding the leg as high as possible. This is what I'm capable of at the moment. Is it good enough?

 

Suzanna McGee

I can hear the coaches: "point those toes, man… through the entire movement"   :-)  great job, @Petri Widsten!

Petri Widsten
4 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

I can hear the coaches: "point those toes, man… through the entire movement"   :-)  great job, @Petri Widsten!

:-). I tried, Suzanna, I tried...

Suzanna McGee
2 minutes ago, Petri Widsten said:

:-). I tried, Suzanna, I tried...

I know you did… you see the toes having a life on their own and you are trying to control them  :-) 

Alessandro Mainente

FIRST Lift the legs straight then begin the knee flexion.

Petri Widsten
8 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

FIRST Lift the legs straight then begin the knee flexion.

But am I not doing that in the 2nd video...?

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Petri,
You're starting with your knee flexed on your weight-bearing leg. Easy fix. Keeping your other leg straight and parallel to the floor is not as easy... Keep it up!

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

But am I not doing that in the 2nd video...?

Nope, you are beginning with bent knee (the supporting one) and the other one straight. ;)

Petri Widsten

Ah, THAT leg :-). No problem fixing it. Am I good otherwise?