This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My workout log

Started by Marcelo Lara, December 26, 2009 · 21 Replies · 1,789 Views

Marcelo Lara

Hi there.

Through the last time I've studied the book again and the method. I've corrected several mistakes that I was doing (one of that, and the worst was the overloading and the "never rest" mentality).

I've made a new routine in wich I put a mentality "put it simple" (in fact, my bedroom is very simple :lol: ). Also, this allow me to do more stretching and some floreio (yes, I fell in love with this art. Thanks, Ido!).

This is my new routine. I will be very grateful about any comments.

Monday

3x10 Leg Raises

3x5 Reverse Leg Lifts

3x5 The Shrimp - OSingle Leg Squad

(For finishing, 10 sets of 6 seconds of Planche, Front and Straddle Levers)

Tuesday

3x5 Chin-ups

3x3

(from now, beginner)

3x3 Tuck Lift to Handstand

3x10 Explosives Jumps

Flexor's exercises

(For finishing, 10 sets of 6 seconds of L)

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday

10x6 seconds L

3x5 Reverse Leg Lifts

3x5 The Shrimp - Single Leg Squad

Flexor's exercises

(For finishing, 10 sets of 6 seconds of Front and Back Lever)

Friday

3x5 Chin-ups

3x3 Gatherings (again, beginner)

3x10 Leg lifts

3x3 Tuck Lift to Handstand

3x10 Explosives Jumps

(For finishing, 10 sets of 6 seconds of Straddle L)

When designing, I was worried about my level and to work antagonist exercises: pull-press, core-back, legs and flexors. Flexors are because I'm very weak on that group.

Cheers

Seiji

A fellow kung fu-er!

What exactly do you practice? I do Northern Mantis.

So anyways, I got some things to say.

You said 3x5 on your chins and pull ups. Are these weighted or is it that you can only do that many? If you can do muscle ups, surely you can do more of those.

That exercise you didn't know is called a Calf Raise. I'd suggest weighting them too, doing too many doesn't help you too much strength wise. I used to do 3x200, but when I started practicing front flips, I was horribly sore the second day. Maybe that's just because I drilled them for 2 hours straight... hehehehe

Marcelo Lara

Northern mantis? Very cool! I practise Northern Shaolin, at the USA Shaolin Temple's branch in Chile :)

The pull-ups and chin-ups: I can do more under-grin chin-ups that the over-grip... but the max. number of repetitions for me is 8! I have about a year of bar training (poorly designed...) and I'm still feeling heavy. The first chin-up is very easy, that's right, but at the 5th repetition I feel certainly tired. Not fatigued, but tired. I'll do that number of sets and repetitions before move onto sets of 10 repetitions. And I'm do the chin-ups without a weighted vest... :?

Calf-raises: Thanks for the name!

I supposed that it gives me strenght on the vertical and distance jump... but that's not right... right? If there is, it would be better to train height jumps with a weighted vest? (I have to do one weighted vest...)

Seiji

Yes, jumping would be better to jump higher hahaha.

Calf raises are still great exercises. You should do them and and various jumping drills.

If i'm right, an under hand pull is called a chin up and a pull up is an over hand pull. You should be able to do more chin ups because the bicep is stronger with palms facing towards you. :D If you're doing 8 and having a hard time, then it's ok to not use a weight vest. But soon it might come in handy.

Marcelo Lara

Thanks, Seiji! :D

Seiji

I'm here to help :wink:

Marcelo Lara

Right now I'm pratising the frog stand, and for fun I tried the tuck planche, and the amount of strenght gaining with the back, front and back lever (all in tuck position) surprised me! I could mantain the tuck planche easily for 3 seconds before my hips went down.

3 seconds... but I'm starting! I'm so happy! :D

Seiji

Hey, three seconds is awesome. You can do it! :D

Marcelo Lara

Ok, here my review of this first week:

I've practised only once the static positions, the running and the parkour, but twice the kung-fu and the basic routine. I feel more confident and powerful at the Tuck-planche, and that's good.

Yesterday I went to a Pool and the swimming was a perfect exercise (and I prove to myself to have more practised! I didn't was good on the technique and power of the swim... but at least swan). Today, it's the turn of the static positions!

Marcelo Lara

The running's resistance has been seriously improved, and, at the tuck front lever and L, I'm doing 6 series of 10 seconds.

Also, I passed from the frog stand to the advanced frog stand :)

Marcelo Lara

I have a question, if somebody can answer me :) :

What about if I train Jumps, instead of the Calf Raises and the Leg Squats?

Razz

Jumps is working more to improve the time it takes to reach maximal force to generate more power where as the squats work to increase the maximal force that can be produced. If you feel maximal power is lacking focus more on that, if you feel you have the power but it takes too long to generate work more on jumps and explosive stuff. Ofcourse you shouldn't neglect either one and it all depends on your goals with your training.

Marcelo Lara

So is that... very nice, thank you Razz :)

Marcelo Lara

I edited the first post, with a new routine and a question: should I include dips?

Neal Winkler

Marcelo, I don't know much but your program looks repetitive to me. Pulls and chins-ups are slightly different but not different enough that you need to include both at the same time especially to the exclusion of other exercises. Furthermore, you have 3 low back exercises which is completely unnecessary.

Marcelo Lara

Really? And what about if I don't do all the exercises in one training? I could do torso and core in one sesion, in other a FSE and in other Legs

Marcelo Lara

I can't do this routine anymore, I have to help here. Probably you'd heard about the Chile's earthquake... well, I live in a devastated city

Neal Winkler

Marcelo, I've been wondering about you. Glad to hear you are ok. I hope everything gets back to normal there as soon as possible and I'm sorry your city was hit particularly bad.

Marcelo Lara

Thanks, trianglechoke :)

My city wasn't particulary destroyed, but the coast was: the tsunami left several deads and there is so much vandalism in Concepcion. Hopefully, soldiers was settled in the streets, so we can sleep better

wingspan

Hey Marcelo you don't know me but hope everything is cool with you and you weren't too badly effected. I was lucky enough to visit Chile last year and it was a cool place with some of the friendliest people I've ever met.

Marcelo Lara
wingspan said:
Hey Marcelo you don't know me but hope everything is cool with you and you weren't too badly effected. I was lucky enough to visit Chile last year and it was a cool place with some of the friendliest people I've ever met.

Hey, thanks for it, and sorry the delay :)

I'm back, I started again. It feels so good to train with knowledge and patience. I'm going to post a new routine soon

Marcelo Lara

First post Updated. Nice to post again. Hope you read it! :)