This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand 1 vs. stretch course

Started by Miguel Perez, September 16, 2016 · 9 Replies · 295 Views

Miguel Perez

Hi guys,

So far I am loving foundations 1 and the front split series. I am torn between purchasing the rest of the stretch series and the handstand. Financial responsibility requires me to only choose one route. Does anyone have an opinion on which may be better to begin first?  Or, what the benefits of choosing one over the other would be in the short term? Thanks, and I am truly enjoying this program thus far.

Miguel

Everett Carroll

Hi Miguel,

I always recommend the stretch courses over H1 for beginners. Getting started on addressing hip and shoulder mobility with the Middle Split and Thoracic Bridge stretch courses will ultimately accelerate your handstand progress. Just start stretching and begin Handstand when you can. 

Miguel Perez

Thanks Everett,

I have another question that may be difficult to answer until Monday. I just saw that they are updating Foundations 1, and I have progressed quite rapidly on the SL(single leg squat) work. Based on what I have read thus far, that would push me quickly into foundations 2. If so, then is it more important to move forward with foundations 2 soon, if one or two elements are there, or stick to the plan and go with the stretch work?

Mark Collins

Keep progressing through Foundation as the priority.

Paul McLachlan
6 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

Keep progressing through Foundation as the priority.

I am facing a similar fork in the road.  

Have been doing F1 and H1 for a month now, and was looking at getting one of the stretch courses pretty soon (need to keep a bit of distance between purchases so the wife doesn't start objecting to the expenditure), but after my mastery testing on F1, I'm almost through all the progressions for SLS (but at PE4 for most others, PE1 for RC!).

Was thinking I might get Front Split or Middle Split stretch course next and just stay on that SLS progression until I'm closer to PE6 on the others and then move to F2 then.

Sounds like with the new Foundation curriculum, I might actually be closer to end of F2 for SLS by the time I finish retesting mastery, so that would mean I'd be looking at F3 too before long for just one element...

Think sticking with Hawaiian Squats and getting stuck into a stretch course might still be a better option for the next couple of months.  Or even working back through the SLS progressions a couple of time.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Paul you can evaluate to pick the course which match your necessities:

-shoulders limitations --> thoracic  bridge

-posture and posterior chain limitation --> front split

-double leg squat and side to side squat limitation --> middle split.

Petra Dvorak
4 hours ago, Paul McLachlan said:

Have been doing F1 and H1 for a month now, and was looking at getting one of the stretch courses pretty soon (need to keep a bit of distance between purchases so the wife doesn't start objecting to the expenditure), but after my mastery testing on F1, I'm almost through all the progressions for SLS (but at PE4 for most others, PE1 for RC!).

With respect (don't know about your level and sports history) i would like to point out that many people try to hurry thru progressions without ever posting a form check (happened to a friend of mine who never filmed himself nor used a mirror... when he finally did, he moved back to the first PEs to correct form...)

Look at it this way: besides your muscles who adapt very fast, you want to prepare your connective tissues. And you want your brain to automate new patterns, this also needs many many reps...

Antonio Alías Montoya

I am also a bit surprised Miguel because I am working in Deck Squat (SLS/PE1) already for a month and didn t achieve mastery and in my opinion the mobility required for SLS/P2 and its paired mobility (twisting squats nightmare)  it s even harder! Maybe you are a machine! :) But with all the respect as well maybe you should post your form. In fact they are changing the single leg squat progression coming Monday because huge amounts of flexibility and mobility is required and the people get stucked for months there (I guess!) If you focus on mastering the PEs without full ROM or at least close to full rom it s not real mastery. If you haven t done it yet, take a look to the forum and read and read, because before I come to the forum I was doing everything wrong! And i had to start again! ;)

Miguel Perez

Thanks for all of the replies guys,

Well, I am in some ways mobile due to following a lot of the Mobility WOD material for a while. In some other areas, like thoracic spine and shoulders, not so much.  So due to that the deck squats seemed okay for me, but certainly I will do another round of them and check for any deviations in technique. I will admit the twisting squats were not easy, and I certainly will be revisiting those more often. I think, based on what I have read, going with the addition of thoracic bridge stretch is the way to go. And to simply keep on with steady hard work in the foundations material. And of course, thank you all for your insights.

 

Everett Carroll

No problem Miguel.