Winter Wonderland Gym

Started by Charles Weill, December 26, 2009 · 8 Replies · 4,250 Views

Charles Weill

Merry Christmas GB's!

With the new snow we just got here, I just took some photos of my homemade outdoor gym:

Parallel bars in my yard.

20562_371425945231_559650231_10514071_8178014_n.jpg

These were made out of pine, seven feet long and roughly 3-4 inches in diameter for solidity.

20562_371425950231_559650231_10514072_3296123_n.jpg

My brand new parrallets that I made today. The bars were made out of serviceberry wood, are an inch and a half in diameter, and sixteen inches in length. The supports are pine.

20562_371426020231_559650231_10514080_3545064_n.jpg

The ring set up in my tee-pee. They hang only about three feet from the loft.

20562_371425960231_559650231_10514073_1607015_n.jpg

And finally: the bar. It rotates so you need to maintain a good grip during lever work. Without the tape, the metal would be to cold to handle on those chilly winter days.

20562_371426015231_559650231_10514079_772022_n.jpg

Feel free to comment.

Cheers!

Joshua Naterman

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! Fantastic use of the materials you have!!!!!

Blairbob

:shock: :P:mrgreen:

that's pretty cool.

Felipe

Great! Could you tell us more details? I'm very curious about it!

Charles Weill

Thanks everyone for your kind words! Felipe, what details are you interested in?

Felipe

how did you get the tee-pee idea, how much time and money to build the structures, how much fun it was? :mrgreen:

Marcelo Lara

REALLY AMAZING! This is so wonderful that you gave me some ideas. Good work! :shock:

Charles Weill
Felipe said:
how did you get the tee-pee idea, how much time and money to build the structures, how much fun it was? :mrgreen:

Truth is, I did not built the tee-pee, but am living in order to live on-site at my work (I work at an wolf sanctuary in Colorado). I basically used the materials available to me and built what I needed--we have a lot of donated low-quality lumber and carpentry tools. None of the equipment I built cost me anything to build apart from time and energy, but it was a blast to make. The rings were the only instrument I did not want to build, because I feel they can be extremely dangerous if not made out of quality materials. Plus, if one of my straps broke and I fell on my wood stove, I would not be too happy. Truly, the best part of building the equipment, is you get to break it in when it's done, and take it apart if you do not like it.

It's also nice to use one's hand for more than presses :wink:

Cheers!

PS: If you want to build a tee-pee, an 18' canvas costs about $900. Get yourself a permit and cut yourself some tee-pee poles. Tie it all together and voila! A place to live for many years, and you can style it!

Neal Winkler

Whoa, you live in a teepee? How warm and comfortable is it? How many square feet is the inside? What a different and interesting life you live.