This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Four Months Solid- Thoughts and Input

Started by Mark Carter, September 16, 2016 · 4 Replies · 283 Views

Mark Carter

Hey Everyone,

I've been back at F1/H1 consistently and exclusively for 4 months now.  I thought I'd share some thoughts.  Any input or comments are appreciated.

  • FWIW, I'm a 48 year old male, 210 lbs. about 16%-18% bodyfat, with a history of competitive sports (no gymnastics), CrossFit, and mainly powerlifting.
  • I feel great!  Mobility is increasing, strength increasing, and no joint issues.
  • I am all over the board.  I'm at FL/PE3, sPL/PE7 (as of today, yay!), HBP/PE2, RC/PE1, SL/PE3, MN/PE1, SLS/PE1, and HS/PE2.
    • I'm not worried.  On sPL I seemed to get stuck for a while, but then it was like I hit the turbo button and just had awesome progression.  I figure either that will happen for the others, or my physical preparation in others was simply lacking.
  • I found on a couple occasions that when I "skipped" a progression by mastering it right after mastering the previous one, that it was helpful to even go through a couple weeks on that progression before moving on.
  • In the beginning, I felt like all I worked was "core."  I'm feeling like the work has moved more into chest/shoulders/triceps/biceps now.  I guess that's normal?
  • Shoulder mobility is slowly coming along.  I was stuck for a long time but there's a lot of progress.  Good for a 48 year old who concentrated on powerlifting previously.
  • I'm now seeing subtle changes in my body.  Shoulders a little rounder.  Torso more defined.
    • This would be even better if I knocked off about 10 pounds! (Also, I might progress faster on other movements)
  • I never feel like my legs get a workout (my legs have always been a "strength" of mine).  But damn!  They are solid granite, seeing some definition, as well as some vascularity (which I never had).  My SLS work is more limited by compression than strength, but I'm almost there!
  • Unlike my previous "trial" has GST, I have not been tempted to go lift weights.  Possibly because I gave it enough time to get some good progression and land on where I'm supposed to be with the progressions.  Thus, nothing that I do is "easy."  I'm challenged every day.
  • Finally, I get comments and compliments in the gym probably 85% of the time that I do handstand work.  I still find this odd.  I squatted over 500lbs not long before starting GST and nobody said anything.  Do a handstand?  Everybody is impressed!
  • Regarding handstands, I was floored by how much stronger my shoulders are.  About three years ago was the last time I did a handstand pushup.  It was when I was in crossfit.  I did them with a pad under my head and I could do about 4 or 5 strict before resting or kipping (stupid, I know).  A few weeks ago I was "challenged" at a party to do handstand pushups because nobody could do them and nobody thought I could do them.  This was after a large meal, a few cocktails, in full clothes with cowboy boots on.  I went against the wall and knocked out 10. 

Sorry for the long post.  If you have anything to add or thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Mark

Martin Jones

Thanks for sharing Mark. I'm approaching my first month mark and already seeing interesting changes in my body, mainly regarding mobility. It's nice to hear the perspective from someone a few more months down the line.

Everett Carroll

Keep it up Mark! 

Wayne Smith

Well done Mark! That sounds awesome, as another late 40's dude, and without wanting to sound like a killjoy, so many friends of mine have ended their progress, and are out of the game for a long time through performing feats of strength as party tricks.  I know it's cool , and feels good, one guy on my shift ended up off work for 18 months when he broke a scaphoid and had numerous surgeries to rectify it.

Please be careful, and keep on working out my friend.

Cheers

Mark Carter

Ha! I never said it was a good idea! Pretty dumb, actually.