This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE3>iM grip width

Started by Sergio Mgencasa, September 16, 2016 · 10 Replies · 97 Views

Sergio Mgencasa

Hello!

In the video, the athlete has a bit wider than shoulder width grip (wrists on the knees before to star the exercise). With this grip I have great scapular retraction when lean forward and nice scapular elevation when lean backwards. With shoulder width is not so clear, so what grip width in this exercise?

Thank you!!

Alessandro Mainente

TH exercise must be mastered at nearly shoulder grip. scapulae retraction must be avoided all the time. only pure flexion.

The video course is a fast execution of the exercise, forum exists to clarify these details.

Sergio Mgencasa

Is not there retraction when you lean fordward?? I'm confused... I don't understand the concept "pure flexion"

Sergio Mgencasa

It looks like to me scapular retraction, not on purpose but it happens. Anybody else can help to clear this up? @Coach Sommer?

Thank you!

 

Sin título.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

As I stated before in other post, video is only a brief demonstration. forum it is exactly meant to have this type of clarification. 

When retraction it is achieved the chest tends to open and spine to extend too much, during handstand we have to hold chest-in all the time with curled spine. 

No retraction should be showed during the exercise. Period.

 

Eva Pelegrin

Hola Sergio, 

As Alessandro indicated you want to work on narrowing your grip until it is nearly shoulder width with no retraction. The concept of “pure flexion” refers to the shoulder joint action when arms go overhead (at nearly shoulder-width) close or past your ears, hopefully. That’s the direction in which you want to activate your posterior shoulder muscles (straight up and back). The closer your grip, the easer it is to feel this. 

I noticed you always have good questions :) When done correctly, scapulae are elevated, upwardly rotated and slightly protracted, which will carry over beautifully to your HS practice.

Sergio Mgencasa

I DO understand now.

I felt I needed to do wider grip to allow my scapulars to retract. Now, with narrower grip I feel that flexion you say Eva. I video myself.

First video retracting scapulas (bad technique):

Second video. Not retracting scapulas. Not sure if enough flexion, but correct technique??

Thank you Alessandro, I think that'd be great some explanation videos as F1 has.

Eva, muchísimas gracias, your explained it great in your answer and thank you for your compliment :-)

 

Alessandro Mainente

Second video is definitely different, pure flexion.

Sergio Mgencasa
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Second video is definitely different, pure flexion.

Enough for mastered the exercise?

Thank you Alessandro

Alessandro Mainente

If you are using the correct weight and you can clearly see a 180° on maximum flexion , yes you can!

Sergio Mgencasa

That's right I was only using 1kg, I forgot to put the 2,5 kg. Thank you Alessandro. Nice chat!