This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Picking a stretch course

Started by Joshua Krieger, September 16, 2016 · 5 Replies · 162 Views

Joshua Krieger

I am looking at moving to Foundation One and also picking a Stretch course. I am having trouble, though knowing which Stretch course to start with. Is there a place where picking a course like this is covered? 

In the Fundamentals course, the couple exercises that gave me the most trouble were ape and frog, and anything in a stradle position - hip mobility being the big issue (from what I can tell). I also have a history of lumbar region pain and fairly tight hamstrings. Any thoughts?

Cole Dano

From your description of issues, you could pick any of the three and not go wrong, but tight hamstrings and hip flexors tend to go hand in hand with lumbar pain, so Front Split might be the best first choice.

Joshua Krieger

Thank you. 

Can multiple stretch courses be done at the same time? For example, could I do Foundation One and both the Middle and Front Splits stretch course? Or is that too much? 

Alessandro Mainente

Nope Joshua, it is exactly what we are suggesting.

Jean-Paul Wallace
On 17/09/2016 at 0:37 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Nope Joshua, it is exactly what we are suggesting.

Alessandro, what would the time commitment be, if you were doing all three stretch courses at once? Is it each course, once a week, for 45 minutes? Or more? I am still doing Fundamentals, but will soon move to FOundation 1. I practice a martial arts style which includes kicks, and am keen to improve my flexibility (and strength!) in the kicks. The upper body strength will take longer to develop, so I will patiently work my way through the system. I am already reasonably flexible (for a 47 yo) but could do with some structured stretching to go those final yards. Thanks for all your great comments on this forum - I am reading as much as I can!

Pauline Taube

Hi Jean-Paul, 

The Stretch series are to be completed once a week each, and take 45min each. They can be done after your workout as a cooldown or on a separate day. 

The Foundation workouts take about 20-30 min to complete each. Many students use the daily limber routine from Fundamentals as a warmup for the Foundations. If you'd like to do some daily stretches you can do the limbering daily too and focus on the movements you struggle the most with.

Please let us know if you have any more questions, we love helping new sudents getting started and watching them succeed :D