This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE3

Started by Patrick Rentz, September 15, 2016 · 13 Replies · 173 Views

Patrick Rentz

Did an additional set of 6 for video after my 5 sets of 10. I'm building good endurance and can complete all the sets+reps with this form, but if I had to guess, not enough lean at this point.

 

Petri Widsten

Hi Patrick

Yes, more lean, but before increasing it I'd recommend a couple of fixes:

- The forearms should remain angled forward at all times - your become nearly vertical as you push up

- Your body becomes more and more piked as your set progresses. Focus on PPT/protraction/body tension.

 

Patrick Rentz
11 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

Hi Patrick

Yes, more lean, but before increasing it I'd recommend a couple of fixes:

- The forearms should remain angled forward at all times - your become nearly vertical as you push up

- Your body becomes more and more piked as your set progresses. Focus on PPT/protraction/body tension.

 

Anything you might recommend I could do after my workout to strengthen this position? Planche leans, planks, etc...?

Everett Carroll

Yes, I agree with Petri. Each rep your hips piked more. If your body is in a good line, the hips will touch the floor just before the chest. Keep working at these Patrick! They are a tough one.

Patrick Rentz
4 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Yes, I agree with Petri. Each rep your hips piked more. If your body is in a good line, the hips will touch the floor just before the chest. Keep working at these Patrick! They are a tough one.

Thanks. I think focusing on pushing straight up, rather than back, will fix that....and be a lot harder. LOL.

Petri Widsten
4 hours ago, Patrick Rentz said:

Anything you might recommend I could do after my workout to strengthen this position? Planche leans, planks, etc...?

Protraction is an important element of sPL progression so getting better at planche leans in particular will strengthen your PPPUs that also require it. 

Patrick Rentz

Had another go at these today for form. Focusing on not piking and keeping shoulders in front of hands all the way through. I think I gotta get my chin out of the way. Turn up your volume for some Rage Against the Machine if you're in the mood.

 

Everett Carroll

Your body line is much better Patrick. Leaning forward a little bit more is really going to help build more strength for the later progressions. 

Patrick Rentz

I think I've made some decent progress in a few weeks (damn, it looks light years away from my first video above!). Went on to planche leans and that's really helped me get a feel for a bigger lean in this position. One issue I have is that focusing on protracting at the top makes me want to push up and back instead of just up, so it makes the movement easier in the last half of the push.  This just a lack of strength? Also, it seems my wrists are now a bit of a roadblock as they felt about at their limit, here. Thanks for the looks on this!

 

Suzanna McGee

What an amazing difference in just 2 weeks… super!!!

Ronnicky Roy

That really is a huge improvement. Nice job!
But yea, your issue "might" be a lack of depression in the scaps. So maybe a weakness or a tightness there. Try adding shoulder circles to your warmup, focusing on the depression before protraction/retraction. See if that makes up the difference.

Patrick Rentz
8 minutes ago, Ronnicky Roy said:

That really is a huge improvement. Nice job!
But yea, your issue "might" be a lack of depression in the scaps. So maybe a weakness or a tightness there. Try adding shoulder circles to your warmup, focusing on the depression before protraction/retraction. See if that makes up the difference.

Right. So protraction is making me want to elevate my shoulders and push back as opposed to depression and protraction which feels like engaging your lats?

Ronnicky Roy
2 minutes ago, Patrick Rentz said:

Right. So protraction is making me want to elevate my shoulders and push back as opposed to depression and protraction which feels like engaging your lats?

Exactly. Like you're using your back muscles to press down as if you were at the top a Dip. All planche type pressing is Protraction + Depression. So tight Traps and upper back muscles will be fighting you on that.

Ronnicky Roy

Lower traps and lats are going to be the specific assisting muscles.