Hip and quad mobility

Started by Christopher Nodberg, September 15, 2016 · 2 Replies · 1,773 Views

Christopher Nodberg

I started doing GST this summer and I am blown away by this training system. My gains in both strength and mobility has been great, resulting in quite a few of my friends signing up for the courses as well. I feel that my hip mobility is lacking behind, though.

My brother mentioned something about him might having a congenital hip condition, making middle split pretty much unreachable for him. Im not sure the same applies to me, but it doesn't seem like I am getting anywhere with my "swivel hips". On the other hand, my "side to side squats" have improved. When doing the butterfly stretch as part of my daily limber warm up, I´ve noticed that I really need to have a plate in my hands for it to work. Without holding a weight in my hands and leaning forward it is impossible for me to pull my knees towards the floor - opening up the hips. Can something similar be done with the "swivel hips" exercise to make it more effective? 

Thanks in advance! =) 
 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Chris, hip congenital condition usually affect all the brothers or sisters simply because it is linked to X chromosome . by the way, simple test:

-ask him standing with  legs together

-externally rotate one leg and lift it as much as possible also with some aid

-if he can lift the leg up to 90à he have possibility of full middle split. if not pain must be felt around 45-60°.

Christopher Nodberg

Thanks, Alessandro! Looks like it will just take a lot of time to get there, then! =)  Gonna tell him about this test!