This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Spl/pe 1

Started by Kirsten Stewart, September 14, 2016 · 10 Replies · 116 Views

Kirsten Stewart

I posted two different views. They're relatively short ;) In the 'view one' I can see I'm bending my elbows. Do I just really concentrate on keeping my elbows straight next time? Am I doing this exercise correctly in the scaps? This is one I have a hard time 'feeling' as I do it so I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. The 'view 2' video shows body line. I think my core is engaged but my bum is sagging? Is that more PPT? I hope I'm not way off here. Thanks so much for the help!!! Love learning about this stuff!!

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Kirsten, 

A few things to work on here:

-Keep your elbows completely locked the entire time. This will help you to develop straight arm strength for later planche work.

-To prevent your hips from rising and falling, keep your glutes and core firmly engaged.

-Focus on only moving the scapulas apart and pinching them together. It may help to practice some repetitions at a slower tempo.

I hope this helps!

Kirsten Stewart

It does Everett thank you!!

Petra Dvorak

what can help your elbows to stay locked all the time, is to rotate your arms (not the hands!) outwards as much as you can, so your Olecranon is backwards and the biceps facing forward

Kirsten Stewart

I'll definitely try that thank you Petra!

Martin Jones

I also rotate my hands out to the side as it helps me keep the elbows locked. Not sure if this is 'cheating' but it may help if it's allowed.

Kirsten Stewart

I was wondering about that too Martin since the gymnast in the video has his hands rotated outwards. 

Ryan Reynolds

Hands out is fine.  I have mine at 10 and 2 and that seems to work best for me.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Kirsten,

Ideally your hands would point forward, but this is uncomfortable on the wrists for many people. It is ok to turn the hands to the side slightly, but try not to turn them past 45 degrees. The main focus of this exercise is the protraction and retraction in the thoracic spine rather than the hand position.

Kirsten Stewart

Thanks you guys!

Martin Jones

Thanks for the clarification Jeffrey.