This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1 iM

Started by Daniel Cappetta, September 13, 2016 · 12 Replies · 315 Views

Daniel Cappetta

Hi guys, 

I have mastered the strength movement but am still working on the iM for PE1. 

My question is can you over work your mobility? Is it detrimental to do too much?

I have been doing the iM every morning. (So twice on handstand days). Last night I felt a slight strain in my upper trap (I think). Could this be from over training mobility or by being too aggressive?

Cheers

Dan

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Dan,

It is certainly possible to overdo mobility work, especially when it is weighted. I recommend taking at least a week off from any movements that could potentially exacerbate the issue. If it is not better in one week, you should strongly consider seeing a physio and getting the issue diagnosed. Never train through the pain.  

Daniel Cappetta

cheers Everett.
all good now :)

Chris Carnazzo

Hello.  I am starting this course.  How heavy is the mobility on HS/PE 1 supposed to be?  I cannot tell if that is a barbell or a PVC pipe.  Thanks.

Tanya Hill

Hi Chris, 

Great question. The first step is PVC pipe and seeing if you can get the shoulders to open. Mobility first then weight! ;)

Chris Carnazzo

Thanks for the reply. At what weight can we consider this stage "passed?"  

Tanya Hill

My shoulders are still in the works with just the PVC pipe. @Alessandro Mainente @Luke Searra you guys have any tips for Chris. 

Alessandro Mainente

IN order to pass to the following element it is required to do the mobility with 2.5/3 kg with shoulder width grip.

I suggest to begin with 0.5/1 kg, mobility with no weight as very low benefits.

In the long therm goal if you are waiting for the PE but already mastered the IM at the point where you, ideally could move on...then increase the weight more then 3 kg --> 4 kg and begin again to improve the IM.

Edward Norton
On 23/09/2016 at 8:28 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

IN order to pass to the following element it is required to do the mobility with 2.5/3 kg with shoulder width grip.

How are we supposed to know this without digging around in the forums, like I just did - there's no course information I can find for passing regarding weight? I assumed from the video it was a weights bar with no weights (I have never used weights so excuse me if it's the wrong word). So I went to my local sports shop and bought a bar. It's six kilos. I guess I should use a pvc tube instead or will I benefit from using a heavier bar - it's the only bar they sell? Is there an assumption that we join a gym where there's a range of different weight bars? How exactly do you move from 0.5kg/1kg to 3 and then 4 if you're not at a gym? 

Alessandro Mainente

It is fine, forum exists to ask for this clarification.

You can start with 0.5 kg in the half of the bar. then work with this weight until you can reach the prescribed grip I cited above. then you can add 1 or 0.5 kg. and work as before, reduce the grip then add weight again.

Eva Pelegrin

@Edward Norton welcome to digging around the forums.:) 

You're right. Typically most gyms don't have an assortment of such light bars. Initially I was using adjustable old ankle/wrist weights wrapped around a wooden dowel (with bubble wrap as padding in between). The wrist or ankle weights are great because (here in the US) they come in such small increments as 1 lb. But you can use anything weighted implement as long as you can wrap it or hang it around the dowel or PVC pipe and you know how much it weights, and have a way to gradually increase the load.  

Basically, you can simply use a broomstick or 1" diameter 4-5 feet long dowel, which you can find at most home improvement centers. I say 4 feet long because most likely that will be the minimum width for later elements such as dislocates. If you have very restricted shoulders (which you're going to find out pretty soon) you may need a 5' dowel. Then get a few inexpensive 1" hole standard plates (2.5 lb., 5 lb.) such as these: https://www.fitnessfactory.com/Home/Item.cfm?ID=3049 Fractional plates a great, but considerably more expensive. Below is picture of my plates set up.
Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 1.31.00 PM.png

Kai Ewert

I second Eva's recommendation. Broomstick/dowel/PVC pipe plus ankle weights or "Standard" (not Oly) small plates.

Used sporting goods stores or thrift stores generally charge 50 cents per pound of weight here in the US, so even less than what Eva posted. 

FWIW, Coach Sommer has emphatically stated that doing the beginning HS mobility elements with a bar without weight should not be done, always put at least some weight on the bar.

Edward Norton

@Eva Pelegrin & @Kai Ewert - great advice. My local Decathlon has ankle / wrist weights, so I'll start with the smallest.