This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Which stretch series to help with some pe/im's

Started by Mike Lounsbury, September 13, 2016 · 6 Replies · 132 Views

Mike Lounsbury

Hi guys,

So I'm a few months into F1 now and have a few pe 1/im's that still have a long way to go. I would like to start adding in the stretch series to help with my lack to mobility. I think eventually I will be purchasing all 3 of the stretch programs and the handstand as well, but for now I'm going to add 1 at a time. Right now  the hardest elements for me are the deck squats, swivel hips, stiff legged windmill, and the MN/1. Which stretch would you guys recommend to start off with to help with these elements? The deck squats I'm doing on an elevated surface (I think biggest issue is ankle mobility and tuck positon here). Swivel hips, (hips seem frozen here, only way to get knees to touch the ground is to really lift the butt off the ground). Stiff legged windmill (I think there are a few mobility issues with this 1, currently about 1/2 way down to touching the floor between my legs). MN/1 (biggest issue is compression at the top here, knees aren't very close to chest and also separate as I come up).

I do have a few huge imbalances that start from the ground up, biggest is my right side is quite a bit smaller than my left. Right foot is about 2 shoe sizes smaller and leg is about 1 1/2 inches shorter. I plan on seeing a physio about this to get a better understanding of things I can do to help with this.

Thx for your time

Everett Carroll

Hi Mike,

For beginners, Front Split is always a good starting stretch series because of the pike work. Middle split is a very close second based on the issues you mentioned.

Mike Lounsbury

Thanks for the reply Everett

Front split it is then.

 

 

Everett Carroll

Not a problem Mike!

Peter DeLuca

I added Front Splits a few weeks ago.  

Overall mobility has been greatly improved including help with deck squats, swivel hips and stiff leg windmills.

Still a long way to go though.  Trust the process.

Patrick Rentz
1 hour ago, Mike Lounsbury said:

Thanks for the reply Everett

Front split it is then.

 

 

+1. I have similar issues as you and Front Split is the one that seems to address them best (tight ankles, hammys, quads). There is big emphasis on the ankles/calves which helps many more deficits than I thought it would. After 10 weeks, I'm nearly to ground level on deck squats after having started on a giant 4-5 inch thick chaise lounge couch pillow. :)

Mike Lounsbury

Great to hear guys,

I just finished my first go at the front splits and can see how it will help out. Glad I watched all the scaled down vids and scanned the forum first though. I def took it easy for the first time reducing reps/hold times so I can still walk tomorrow. Feel stretched out though.