Hi all,
I've a horrible feeling I've developed something along the lines of Golfer's Elbow? I have tenderness around the medial epicondyle (knobble on the inside) of both elbows, extending slightly down/out diagonally toward Pronator Teres, as best I can tell. I have no professional diagnosis, so I could be wrong about it being tendonitis, and might be a muscle strain/tear, etc? I am aware that a whole bunch of flexors, and pronator teres, share a common tendon of origin in that area.
Some facts:
> Painful pronating hands with arms straight (pronated, supinated and neutral at wrist)
> Painful pressing with fingers/1st knuckles with arms straight (extended, flexed and neutral wrist)
> Hardly any discomfort with both the above when elbows bent, which I find odd!?
> It is not really tender under direct pressure, and doesn't ache or throb during the day
> I often forget about it until I do something that aggravates it
Has anybody come across this with gymnastic training? Or have any useful advice?
I've a feeling it's probably been caused by a combination of both gripping hard while hanging straight armed (which would also be pronated) and pushing hard through first knuckles during handstand practice. The exercises I have been doing most of the time running up to becoming aware of the injury* were: handstands against wall, chin-ups (palms facing) and HLRs from bar.
* When I say injury, I mistook it for PWO soreness for a few weeks before I realised it might be something a little more serious. It really flared up following getting a little bit too 'CrossFit' during some MetCon, which included a load of assisted pull-ups (palms away)!!!
It is very frustrating, and quite unfair - I have never even played golf! ![]()
Cheers,
George.