This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE2 + Mobility

Started by Justin Rovtar, September 12, 2016 · 2 Replies · 93 Views

Justin Rovtar

Im having a rough time with this couplet. 

1) On Cossack Squat is it better to keep the heel flat and not go down as far or go ass to heel with the heel lifting off the ground on the squatting leg. This is primarily a mobility issue. Strength wise its easy. My hip dips to about the knee at my bottom ROM.
My intention is to start at Step 9 and keep with it until I can get full ROM before I move on. Starting at step 1 is basically like doing nothing.

Or is it better to keep the heel flat and go deep but use a rail or rope to aid me from tipping backwards? Currently working on mobility for the Achilles and calf.

2) Twisting squats - Is it normal to feel like a clumsy idiot when starting these? I feel like a baby giraffe trying to stand for the first time. Starting with 4 (2 each way) until I get them down. Is there any way to mod these in the beginning?

Craig Copeland

2) scale twisting squats by lowering to stacked gymnastics mats, stacked books, small stool, etc. Over the coming weeks (or months.  I think this one took me 9 months to master), reduce the height of the mats or books or stool. Yes, I also felt like a clumsy giraffe at first. 

Everett Carroll

Hi Justin,

I recommend keeping your heel flat during Cossack squat and use assistance for now. The plan you described for working on the iM is great! I also recommend beginning the middle split stretch series as soon as possible. That series will help you greatly with both of these movements.