This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Open Planche: sPL/SE4

Started by Jim Gunther, September 12, 2016 · 12 Replies · 242 Views

Jim Gunther

For me, the "distance" between Tuck and Open Planche is huge.

My tuck:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeuWaVt5uJo&feature=youtu.be

My open planche (held for a second or two at best):

 IMG_0357.JPG

 

Question:  Any ideas on how to bridge from tuck to open planche?   Can a pulley be used?  I should be able to do it, but can’t and would like a transition “cheat.”

 

Another question:

 

On the GB site, Tuck Planche: sPL/SE3 calls for “locked elbows and strongly protracted shoulders.” Open Planche: sPL/SE4 calls for “the scapula to be BOTH protracted and depressed.”

 

Any suggestions on how I can keep “the scapula to be BOTH protracted and depressed”?   How to keep the arms straight and locked?

 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Jim, first you do not have to perform planche with fingers turned backward, period.

Second if you cannot maintain proper scapular protraction probably you do not have mastered completely the previous element (tuck pl 5x30'').

Same consideration for the straight arms. 

Please post an attempt of your open planche on a video, remember to reach the position directly and not by lumbar hyperextension like in your photo.

 

Jim Gunther

Thanks for the help!  I do the tuck planche 5 x 30 as in the video.  For the tuck planche, my fingers point to the side, which is much more natural for me than pointed backward.  The only reason I turned the fingers back in the open planche was because I found it impossible to retract the scapula with the hands in any other position (I tried many).

Alessandro Mainente

You do not have to retract the scapula during planche elements.

Jim Gunther

I pointed the fingers back to keep “the scapula to be BOTH protracted and depressed.”  

Also, what do you think about doing the open planche assisted (pully or some other method)?

Thanks for your patience!

 

Alessandro Mainente

You do not need the pulley,as I stated in another post if you do not weight more then 85 kg with 67-68 cm of leg circumference. I build up my straddle planche day after day, months over month. I would like to see your open tuck attempt.

For what it is concerned with fingers positioning, keep in mind that finger backward points an high stress on bicep tendon and if you are in foundations you do not have already achieved the necessary conditioning for this fingers position.

Jim Gunther

Very embarrassing, but here they are:

https://youtu.be/GXq0Wmxc_h0

https://youtu.be/unSkVqh55YA

I am really struggling with open planche: bent arms, “scapula protracted and depressed,” and everything else.

Thanks for this: “keep in mind that finger backward points an high stress on bicep tendon ….”

You are a genius!  100% correct for me!  I do practice patience as you suggest. No problem there.

Everett Carroll

Hi Jim,

The videos privacy settings are set to private. Can you please change them to unlisted?

Jim Gunther

Done. Unlisted.  Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

First video, 4 second Mark it is way what you are searching for.

Again,no hands backward.

Jim Gunther
Quote

Th

Thanks!  Is it good to do this daily (instead of 3 days a week) since the hold is so short?

Everett Carroll

To avoid overtraining and to ensure your joints recover, I don't advise doing this every day.

Alessandro Mainente

Nope as Everett said due to your age and your current level 2-3 days a week it is enough. adjust the level of hips extension in function of your ability.