This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Dislocates

Started by Jonas Winback, September 12, 2016 · 4 Replies · 162 Views

Jonas Winback

Is it more important to aim to reach as much mobility as possible before adding any weight on dislocates? I.e. would it be better for me to reach full ROM using only a stick instead of working with say half a pound or a pound of weight? Or should I combine the two and do like half the sets without weight and half with weight (while holding a wider grip with weight)?

Everett Carroll

Hi Jonas,

Adding a small amount of weight is going to make these much more productive than just using a dowell. Start wide with a light weight and narrow your grip over time. 

Jonas Winback

Thanks for the reply, Everett!

I must have been confused since I somehow converted kilos to pounds in the wrong direction. Anyway, I've been mixing it up a bit, using only a dowel sometimes, sometimes 2,5kg or 5kg, but with 5kg I can't do as many reps or hold as narrow a grip as I can with 2,5kg or just a dowel.

From what I've read here it seems like some people seem to aim for around 10 repetitions? Although in HS1 it's 5 repetitions after each set. I could do 5reps with 5kg but certainly not 10 reps. Not sure about the "optimal" dosage here or I should ditch the higher weight in favor of trying to reach more mobility and/or being able to use a higher amount of reps?

Coach Sommer

Hi Jonas,

It is 5 reps per set during that portion of the H1 curriculum and then one set of 10 reps afterwards for maintainence.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jonas Winback

Alright, thanks Coach Sommer!

 

edit: not sure how this ended up as a sticky btw, I don't think that's necessary :)