I struggle to keep my legs totally straight on the strength portion. I'm enjoying the Jefferson Curls and look forward to being able to go past my feet someday! Feedback please
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Kian Ostovar, September 12, 2016 · 7 Replies · 158 Views
I struggle to keep my legs totally straight on the strength portion. I'm enjoying the Jefferson Curls and look forward to being able to go past my feet someday! Feedback please
Hi Kian,
LOTS of work to do here! Almost a complete lack of mobility in the hips and hamstrings. The good news is that this is relatively straight forward to address and begin correcting.
1) Focus on improving the MN iM work rather than the PEs for now. You may also do some of the more advanced MN iM progressions. Do not however do any of the advanced MN PEs at this time.
2) Begin following the GB front split series.
3) Begin following the GB middle split series.
The three recommendations above should help you to get started addressing these deficiencies.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach Sommer, thanks very much for the tips. I've been doing the GB front split series for the past 8 weeks and I have seen some improvement in my hip and hamstring mobility so you can imagine what a train wreck it was prior to me starting it, LOL! I will focus on the MN iMs only for now and will look at adding in the GB middle split series to my weekly schedule. Regarding the Jefferson Curls, I've been using two 15lb dumbells for the past 4 weeks. At what point do you recommend increasing the weight one uses for them?
Hi Kian,
I always spend at least 3 months on a given weight for Jefferson Curls. You want the weight to begin feeling easy before moving on.
Here is my first attempt at this PE in 13 months. Per Coach Sommer’s advice, I’ve been doing the front split and middle split series along with Jefferson Curls weekly in that time. I’m curious to get feedback on my progress from the original video in this post to this video now. Thanks!!
Hi @Kian Ostovar,
Huge difference in everything.
Control, tempo, and form. Keep working on your stretch courses and mobility. Try to do your previous element and iM as warmup. (windmills are good for warming up)
Thanks Leo for the feedback and tips!
I feel your pain Kian, I've been on MN/PE2 forever. One thing you did well in the first video was point your toes; you're not pointing your toes in the 2nd video. Pointing the toes and really concentrating on locking the knees will help keep your legs moving as "one unit"; any floppiness in the legs makes this PE harder than it needs to be.
Other than this, I have no wisdom to offer. Mobility is the sticking point for most people in this element, especially for me :S