This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pain after Thoracic Bridge Series. Troubleshoot

Started by Borja Garmendia-Acedo, September 12, 2016 · 8 Replies · 215 Views

Borja Garmendia-Acedo

Hello GB family and Coach Sommer!

I am going to put you in situation.

It has been 3 weeks since I started the Foundation Series and 2 days ago I did the The Thoracic Bridge Series for the third time. It is a series I have the most trouble with as it is a movement pattern that has long been forgotten.

I finished the training correctly but I was exhausted, the strange thing was next morning when I had a strong pain in my pec minor, in the axila in the posterior side that extended all the way to the middel of the upperback and from there up to the skull. Intense enough to bother me and not let me train for the last 2 days. Its getting better but I would like to know if you have an idea of what I may have done to my arm.

**It hurts me when I do shoulder extension and overhead movement having the arm to the sides (elbows pointing in opposite directions)

Thank you for your input!

 

Yours in sport

 

BG

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

How are the situation now? pain is gone?

Borja Garmendia-Acedo

**It hurts me when I do shoulder extension and overhead movement having the arm to the sides (elbows pointing in opposite directions)

 

Actually this is my current status.

Getting better but really slowly and i feel like 4 blocking points in the upper chest, rotator cuff and 2 points in the upper back and middle back and also in the biceps and brachialis.

 

Its strange because while training i felt ok jut exhausted. No strange pain aside from the exercise muscle fatigue /pain.

Coach Sommer

Hi Borja,

Far too much intensity on your mobility work!

Your finishing the thoracic bridge series 'exhausted' is indicative that you did NOT train the TB series correctly, but rather approached it as conditioning rather than mobility.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Borja Garmendia-Acedo

I was thinking about while i as doing the elevated bridges but then I heard you say in the video ''tired is good" and i said f**k it, Be a man hahaha

 

What do you suggest me coach?

Do i let it rest some days while still training the lower body and come back

or should I get it checked?

 

Thanks for your response and your time and thank you for the great material that you are sharing with all of us, its an honor to train under you (or your program)

 

BG

Coach Sommer

Hi Borja,

Let the upper body rest for one week.  If it is still sore in one week, rest an additional week.

You may work core and legs in the interim.  Being sure to now implement your newly hard won knowledge of the difference between strength and mobility intensity. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Borja Garmendia-Acedo

Thank you Coach!

 

I'll surely will!

 

BG

Suzanna McGee

@Borja Garmendia-Acedo sometimes my pecs get also super tight and I can feel many trigger points there. What I do, after an intense training, I take a softball or baseball (or lacrosse ball) and do myofascial release. You can do it leaning against the wall, in the door frame, put the ball on your pec muscle, and gently let the pressure massage the trigger points. Here, do NOT do your "f**ck it, be a man" thing. Be gentle, breathe deeply and let the ball get rid of the trigger point tension. You can also move your arm into flexion and extension and all different angles as you are pushing on those trigger points. It may be quite painful, but you will be surprised how you feel after it's done. You may have full range of motion again. The muscles will want to get tight again a few times, just use the ball again, until the muscle tissue is smooth and no problems. I carry a ball in my purse everywhere I go  :-)  A real woman has balls, ha ha  :-) 

Borja Garmendia-Acedo

@Suzanna McGee Suzanna, I wanted first to excuse myself for answering this late and secondly to thank you for the laughs I got from you message. ;)

I had already been massaging myself with the lacrosse ball since I got injured and the improvements had been great as always (THose magic balls ;)). 

Nonetheless, it seems that I went way too far being a man with the thorathic bridge series because it has taken almost 2 months to recover and I still feel quite some tightness.in the upperchest and some parts of the upperback. I am still improving though. Just moving little weights slowly in certain movements with the injured arm while training the rest of my body. Soon the beast will be unleashed again :P

Hoping everything is going fine with your training, have a nice day!

BG