This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My Promise

Started by Martin Jones, September 11, 2016 · 8 Replies · 267 Views

Martin Jones

Hello. I have tried numerous training programs over the past 5 years since being interested in health and fitness. I have no medical problems, no major difficulties in life, I am comfortable financially and have excellent facilities available to me at no cost. I do not tell you this to boast, I tell you this to explain I HAVE NO EXCUSES. 

My failure has always been not maintaining an exercise program long enough to see results. I am, as Coach calls them, the epitome of the immature student. I demand results fast, almost expecting the Rocky time lapse training montages to be accurate and in real time. This has to end. 

I am posting this message to have something to look back on, if it is ever needed, and also to make a commitment to this community. I do not promise to become exceptional, I simply promise to follow F1 to its completion. 

I am fed up of giving up. I only have myself to blame, and as such, I hold all the power. 

I look forward to this journey.

Edit: I meant to put this in the 'Getting Started' forum, my apologies. 

Paul Gray

Good luck Martin. You're in safe hands here!

Martin Jones

Thanks Paul!

Brandon Martin

Keep at it.  Consistency.  I have been at it for about a year.  Starting to see some amazing results in terms of flexibility and strength at end of range of motion.  Be honest in your logging.  Use the form checks - they are invaluable.

Dennis Mowry

I feel ya, there is enough here for a lifetime. See you down the road. 

Mikkel Ravn

In the end, all you have is your word. You'd better stock to it then! :-) 

Andrew Brook-Dobson

Martin, came across the following poem recently and it really spoke to me; I hope it might help you in your quest:

The Man in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.
 
For it isn’t your father, or mother or wife
Whose judgement upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.
 
He’s the follow to please; never mind all the rest
For he’s with you clear to the end
And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.
 
You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.
Daniel Miles

Good luck Martin! Just believe in yourself and you can achieve anything! Remember... "He who thinks he can and he who thinks he can't are both usually right"

Martin Jones

Some great replies guys, thanks. Thanks for the poem Andrew, it definitely conveys the message. I'm gradually discovering that the discipline and commitment to the program is more rewarding than the progress itself.