Correct Thecnique on Front Flip

Started by norbeex3, December 24, 2009 · 5 Replies · 3,847 Views

norbeex3

My question is mainly to Mr. Sommer and Ido or any other gymnastics coach at the boards. So I was wondering if you could give me a progression for front tucks. Many people claim that they can do a front flip but in reality a correct execution of this skill is rare as they usually land in a squat position. If any of you have time and mood to respond It would be nice because I think that everyone here could benefit from an essay on this thread.

I know you have to learn front roll and such but I would be glad if you could write me the entire progresson and the execution in one as you teach it to your kids. :)

Thank You and Merry Xmas!

norbeex3

It's an interesting article and have a few drills I can use but I would like to hear one of the coaches method as these articles are by no means a complete explanation on learning the front tuck but thanks anyway. I like it that they do it in a slightly different way than the other coaches.

Blairbob

Many of my young boys come to me with a basic idea of knowing how to flip or figuring it out themselves.

My lil guys are small enough to handspot on trampoline right now, so I've taken to working them handspotted so I can teach them the right shape.

We have been working a lot of handstand to flatback on stacked mats, as well as doing this without the use of their hands, a 3/4 front layout.

We do a lot of seat drop to table drop, front flip to seat drop.

However, for the most part they are in a loose and sloppy tuck. Because my front tuck was self-learned, I think it might be that way as well.

I guess I could also put them in a harness.

Another is forward roll onto mat stacks roughly shoulder height with or without a springboard. Basically, punch, straight jump-set and roll onto the top.

Perhaps, a basic skin the cat teaches proper compression for either flip.

norbeex3
Blairbob said:
Many of my young boys come to me with a basic idea of knowing how to flip or figuring it out themselves.

My lil guys are small enough to handspot on trampoline right now, so I've taken to working them handspotted so I can teach them the right shape.

We have been working a lot of handstand to flatback on stacked mats, as well as doing this without the use of their hands, a 3/4 front layout.

We do a lot of seat drop to table drop, front flip to seat drop.

However, for the most part they are in a loose and sloppy tuck. Because my front tuck was self-learned, I think it might be that way as well.

I guess I could also put them in a harness.

Another is forward roll onto mat stacks roughly shoulder height with or without a springboard. Basically, punch, straight jump-set and roll onto the top.

Perhaps, a basic skin the cat teaches proper compression for either flip.

Thanks for your answer! So you teach it with handspot. Do you think the front part of the skin the cat can be used in substitution? (Is it possible to learn the back tuck with it? I have some experience and I used to do it on thick mat with proper form but i'm scared on the ground but mainly I'm interested in the front tuck)

Blairbob

Basic forward and backward rolls teach much more than just rolling but are to teach the salto versions down the road.

One we use is with a long panel mat. Try to do a long roll, stretching out your body then tucking to complete it. No hurdle-punch, from a stand.

Another is with a springboard or without, set up stacked mats or resi pit to about shoulder height; run-hurdle-punch and perform a stretch jump in the air and forward roll onto the mats at the top. If you can do it, set a wedge at the top to roll down. This focuses on not rolling until the peak of the stretch/set.

Handspotting slowly will only work to a certain age/size.

I also teach a heavy emphasis on the 3/4 layout to back and sometimes I can tell them to just tuck after setting and initiating the heel drive.