This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL PE1 Scap Pushup

Started by Carlos Jimenez, September 10, 2016 · 3 Replies · 100 Views

Carlos Jimenez

I'm making slow but steady progress with my Hip Swivels - I'm starting to see a glimmer of light.

Now I want to make sure my scap pushup form is on track.

Looking at the video it appears my hips are sagging but I am doing PPT - not sure what's going on here.

By the time I master the hip swivel I should be able to crack a walnut between my shoulder blades.

Jon Douglas

That sag is you letting your lower back sag, leading the descent with your hips :) true, your shoulders are moving well, but are definitely losing all PPT at the bottom; pause at the bottom of a rep and note the visible APT.

What we need here is for you to lock it in tight. Your core should be working throughout this exercise; think of minimising the distance between bottom ribs and pelvis :)

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Carlos Jimenez, I totally agree with Jon. Also the reason that your lower back is sagging is because lack of activation in the glutes. Always remember to keep everything tight, You are only focusing the tension on your upper back when you should keep the tension on your whole body.

Greg White

Hi, just want to query Jon's PPT advice off the back of a recent post from Coach. To quote Coach from the post I've linked, " No need to maintain full PPT during scap shrugs". I'd always maintained PPT on Scap Shrugs and was surprised by this. I'd think keeping PPT would be beneficial, especially as most can complete the strength element sooner than the iM and due because the next must have PPT maintained.