This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sl PE1 Russian twists

Started by Carlos Jimenez, September 10, 2016 · 5 Replies · 94 Views

Carlos Jimenez

Out of all my exercises Russian Twist (and Deck Squats) are the ones I'm make the slowest progress.

I've been working on:

  • getting by back straight - I was rounding before
  • twisting around more
  • dropping my hands lower due to the twist

I'm now feeling a bit of a stretch in my sternum when I'm twisted around.

These 6 twists are still a struggle after 3 months! I heard Coach Sommers say that tight and weak obliques are common in de-conditioned adults. What has worked for you (aside from persisting with Russian Twists)?

 

Jon Douglas

I thought those were nice. Notably a bit tighter twisting to your left but not bad at all. Good job.

Weakness in adults often has aspects of inactivity -- learning to activate those muscles, and learning to activate them with the correct timing. To this end its important to remain very strict on form, as you are doing, to ensure the stress is put on the right areas to shore them up. If you aren't moving on them, sometimes more volume is the way; for example, my rule of thumb if I'm stuck at 3 reps of something I drop reps to 2 and double the sets for the specific effect of getting more practice at the movement while relatively fresh.

Honestly if your hard work so far has led you to performing those reps with that form though, I don't see any need to make any tweaks. They're good and now the task is the climb up in reps and strength along the way. Keep fighting with em.

Guido Franchetti

I just thought I'd mention that those are 12 reps :) 

Martin Jones

They look real good to the untrained eye! Keep going as Jon mentioned above. Try not to be disheartened, I've found a number of the strength movements in F1 to be incredibly humbling.

Carlos Jimenez

Thank you all.

It is a nice surprise to find out that my form is on track. It didn't feel right to me. There have been times where I felt I had good form until I saw myself in a video or after I received feedback.

Now its just a matter of building the strength endurance, which will come with more practice. Stay tuned for a progress update. 

Jon Douglas
4 hours ago, Carlos Jimenez said:

Thank you all.

It is a nice surprise to find out that my form is on track. It didn't feel right to me. There have been times where I felt I had good form until I saw myself in a video or after I received feedback.

Now its just a matter of building the strength endurance, which will come with more practice. Stay tuned for a progress update. 

That's the benefit of the outside eye ;)