This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bridge Progessions

Started by Kevin Shaw, September 10, 2016 · 2 Replies · 112 Views

Kevin Shaw

Hello

Have been using the 3 stretch programs for about 1 month now and they work really well. I do have a challenge with the full bridge course. I am unable to push up into a bridge from a laying position (arms are the problem). Obviously it is a strength issue for me. Are there any progressions to help me get to the basic bridge position so that I can at least think about completing the legs raised bridge sequences in the program?

Thanks

Kevin

Jon Douglas

Hi Kevin,

It is not a problem if you are unable to intially complete the whole series. It's designed to improve your ROM so that you will be able to complete more of it over time.

The bridge progressions through Foundation are a stepped method up to a full bridge. For the purposes of this, an intermediate step might be to use a Swiss ball for support and perform bridges over that until you gain the strength and ROM to perform them unassisted. If you're really tight and unable to get your hands under you to push up, you could even perform them more like the inverted cat stretch-- lying on a bench or such and performing the bridge stretch with the upper body only.

Hope that gives you a starting point :)

Kevin Shaw

Excellent suggestions Jon. I will definitely give those a try. Thanks