PVC ring support?

Started by Faisal Rahim, December 23, 2009 · 5 Replies · 2,946 Views

Faisal Rahim

Hi Everyone,

How safe would it be to do my ring exercises off of a pvc (schedule 40, 1.25" thick) pipe support? It would basically look like an 8' tall, 3' wide parallette.

Thanks!

Neal Winkler

If anything broke, it would be the elbows. The pipe itself will hold though. With paralettes, you have 4 elbows supporting your weight, but with this you have only 2.

Ryan Libke

Not being expert on materials and loads, I cannot give good advice, but I would not invert myself on such a set up. Also, given the variety of motions on the rings, not even thinking about the more dynamic moves, I would worry about the different forces at play, and whether the foundation would be strong enough.

Don't take any risks with your neck.

Blairbob

Such an apparatus would be very light and unstable compared to even a child's BW. I wouldn't go on it.

Use 1 or 1.25 inch PVC cut to about the width of your hand and buy some rope or cargo straps and you have rings.

Joshua Naterman

Make it out of metal pipes. You'll be safe and much happier. Or you could do it cheaper with 4x4 and a pipe.

Blairbob

4x4 and metal pipes would be much better. I'd go with metal pipes if you have to deal with a lot of rain/snow. Just make sure to sink them deep enough.