This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Less headache, faster workout -- best way of displaying the exercises visually

Started by Niko Mailand, September 8, 2016 · 6 Replies · 298 Views

Niko Mailand

Hello,

When I first started out the GB program with Fundamentals, it was fairly straightforward how to do each exercise, because I was following along with the online video and usually there were just one or two exercises that needed to be done in a single workout.

However, after Fundamentals I started with Foundation 1, Handstand 1 and 2 and the Stretch series simultaneously, which meant that suddenly I had to know how to do 14 different exercises for F1 (strength and mobility), 12 exercises for H1 and H2 and around 45 different ones for the Stretch series.

When doing the workouts at home, knowing which exercises to do and what they look like is not a problem, because you can just follow along with the online video.

When doing the workouts in the gym however, you don't have the luxury of taking a laptop with you and watching videos (not in my gym anyway).

So how do you organize things to know what you should do? In the "old days", I could just write down "dead-lift" or "wide pull-up" and know what to do, instead of "seated shoulder flexion reps with weighted bar", and the exercises would not change from week to week as they do in GB when you are progressing.

So I had to come up with a system that is easy and clear so that I know what to do when working out in the gym and also at home since bending over your laptop with sweat dripping all over is bound to go wrong.

After trying some things I came up with this:

I make drawings of the exercises on index cards and then put them in a business-card holder page (which happens to be sweat-proof and also crease-proof). See picture in the attachment.

This works like a charm, because I instantly know what to do, how to do it and the cards are replaceable. I write down the reps on a different sheet.

Because I always strive to improve, I was wondering what methods you use to keep track of your exercises when you have to workout in the gym.

Thanks in advance.

 

GB exercise sheet.jpg

David Rowell

oh man, i found this very confusing too. it took me a few workouts just to get the hang of it all before i started properly and did the mastery test. 

my method is now to print out my workout schedule and then as we have wireless in the gym i keep my phone with me, so i can look up the videos if i need a reminder. i also have a notes file on my phone i can open that has reminders on it with reminders i.e sPLPE1im = swivel hips. two or three workouts in and it's getting slicker for me.

Coach Sommer

Hi Guys,

Not to worry.  A brand new course interface for Foundation One is nearly ready for release which will greatly ease the transition from Fundamentals.  You guys are going to love it.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ashe Higgs

I would happily pay an extra $10-20 for a good Android app that interfaced with the website. Just log in to the app with our website credentials and have our training easily displayed and easy to mark done.

Trying to use existing apps from the android market is like trying to fit round pegs into square holes and the dashboard on mobile is pretty sluggish, so it really slows down the pace of your training.

Coach Sommer

Hi Ashe,

Merry early Xmas, an app is currently in developement also.   :icon_cool:

Although it is still in the early stages and will require several more months of development time before it is ready for release.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ashe Higgs

YES!

This is how excited I am:

:D

 

Suzanna McGee

I just took screen shots from the exercise pictures, and the number of reps, and created a note in my Evernote. Either I peak on my Evernote in the gym, or also I print out the sheet(s) with my screen shots and bring them to the gym. The stretch series are simple, because it's the same program, so I just print it out once and carry with me. I write notes on the paper if I have some observations or something…